Monday, August 4, 2014

August 4

Aug 4  Rader pp. 220-227 (Chapter 9); Lampert pp. 278-85 (Chapter 27)
           And Kate Lyman: Teaching the Whole Story (pp. 168-175)

Yikes. Sorry about posting so late-- 11.30 am. I had the First Friday Art Trail opening issues all weekend long and this morning. I will post some pics under that heading. I will be checking on blog sites today. Just three class days to blog--and then we will be responding one more time to people's blogs whatever stage they are at--on their blog site.

Lots of posts about ideas for pedagogical changes in our lessons and classrooms on Friday's posts. Lynn--your: Is it kind? Is it true? Is it necessary? questions--where do those come from? Andrea's ideas for  creating/inventing cultural projects is a great idea. Keep in mind that it will take research time to track histories--interviews, mapping, online research, etc. in order to produce that cultural project. Many of us know very little about our own backgrounds and histories--or have to remain silent about them for various reasons.

Andrea posted about where to leave comments--leave it on their blog site. I will see that you have left a comment. Am keeping track of those too. Just that you comment. So make sure you do.

And check out some of the pics from First Friday Art Trail JUNCTION 2014 Exhibit.

37 comments:

  1. Rader pp. 220-227 (one book down)

    What did you think of the ways the museum tries to write their lives back into history? The Guns, Bibles and Treaties exhibit was intriguing (p. 223). What is your take on it? ( How natives used guns to fight back; rejected or acclimated parts of religious info; use the treaties/documents to fight for their rights to this day.)

    Rader writes on p. 224 that many museums are passive--and that this museum refuses to be a museum in a traditional sense. Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kind, true, necessary--This was the philosophy of my children's lower elementary school. The kids learned it and were questioned if there had perhaps been a violation. I still use it as a criteria for my life.

      I believe they are Quaker principals.
      http://www.religioustolerance.org/quaker2.htm
      http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/05/23/1092850/-Is-it-true-Is-it-kind-Is-it-necessary#

      Delete
    2. passive museums-- some are-some museums believe they have a lot to lose if they move out of their standard view. They may lose funding, or patrons, or possibly even respect.
      My favorite, in your face, belligerent museums, is the acropolis museum. The displays show the artifacts which were stolen by Lord Elgin and the museums is a call for the return of stolen artifacts.
      http://www.theacropolismuseum.gr/en/content/museum-history.
      woohoo!

      Delete
    3. I think it's a good approach. Anything that gets people involved and wanting to know more is good right? We want people to know the truth and what took place so isn't that a good thing to intrigue people? I know it could be a turnoff for some but I think for the most part most people would respond well to it!

      Delete
    4. I agree with Lynn and Andrea. I think it is intriguing. I am a bit confused in this book on this part. What are they preferring the museum to be like? When I visited it, I thought it was a really great preservation of the history. Are they wanting it to take on stand on the treatment like Lynn is stating for the return of stolen goods?

      Delete
    5. Over the weekend, a friend was passing through Lubbock and we spent most of Saturday visiting museums around town. One spot we visited was the American Wind Power Center, a museum dedicated to the history of windmills in America. They have an extensive and interesting collection, but their curatorial philosophy epitomizes the passivity Rader is talking about. The museum is essentially a large warehouse with thirty or so windmills displayed in no discernable order. I wanted to know where the story of windmills began in American, where they went, and where they are now; but the text provided only gave information on the specific mill with no context or reference to the other objects. My friend and I had a conversation afterward about how museums, especially history museums, should communicate narrative. It is a coincidence that we had that conversation Saturday and now I am reading the same sentiment in Rader’s book.

      Delete
    6. I have only been to the American Wind Power Center once, and that was enough. I'm not particularly interested in windmills, and the lack of narrative left me in the dark.

      At both of my museums we are pretty passive. For us, it's because our operating costs are paid by tax dollars, so if we make the people mad then they'll want to stop funding us. So we tote the Lubbockites opinions about everything.

      Delete
  2. Chapter 27 Art Defends Art

    Google Judy Baca if you are unfamiliar with her. Amazing contemporary Chicana artist. Amazing…

    Of course, I want to focus on a line on page 280 that was initially made by the SOS group: "It was better before they (i.e. Mexicans/Hispanics) came." Sometimes I hear people say, oh rings were so much simpler in the past. How much easier it would have been to live back then. We have read how difficult and horrific it has been for people over the years in the US. The SOS group states that "They were tired of watching their great American culture disappear" (p. 281). Just what is or are the great American cultures today? HAs that been ever fixed? Or have we always been changing and evolving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think each era is full of good and bad things. There are things to appreciate in each time. I admire the survival ability during the Depression, the ability to work together for a common goal during WWII. the funky innovations during the post War. I love our access to information. All of these times have undercurrents and injustices. In our readings, we are being taught to see.

      Delete
    2. Begining this chapter, my first question is about what is the big deal about this work of art? Is it that obvinsive? Can't we all just get along? It seems like alot of commotion over something that seems free for multiple people of the public to freely write their oppinions on. All public art will have the risk of insulting someone. It seems extreme for the SOS to take thoughs actions. To get a better understanding of the riot at Baldwin Park, I decided to search for clips of the video mentioned on page 281. My first site that I came upon was more on the incident. There is definately rasicm going on. http://www.theamericanresistance.com/thousand_words/baldwin_park_2005may14.html
      Here is a video with more explanation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF2-J1376Hs#t=40
      Because of the confusion that the statue presents and the violence developed becuase of the monument, I would agree to have the words on the statue removed. However, I am a peaceful person and do not think anything is worth hurting another person for unless self protecting myself. I will say watching the video was hurtful and hard to see people being so hateful towards eachother.

      Delete
    3. I agree with a lot of Lynn's ideas. Our country has a lot of pride for itself and its nation. I think as a whole we have always been changing and evolving. Throughout history we have been a melting pot of different cultures immigrating into the US. We have developed our idea to think independently and fight for our freedoms.
      I do agree with Blair that the quote on the monument seems to be passive aggressive.

      Delete
    4. Lynn is so right how we have come together for the greater good or common goal. And that's what I love about this country we are all allowed to have our opinions big or small! That's what our soldiers fight for our freedom to voice our opinions whether they are offensive to someone else or agree with the majority. Each generation does it a little differently than the first and hopefully we learn from our mistakes as well as victories!!

      Delete
    5. I believe that in most periods of social progress in history, social progress is met with heated resistance. The progress we have seen in the past few years concerning health care, same-sex marriage, and the decriminalization of marijuana have been big steps in the right direction, but those who fear their “great American culture” are inspired to become more vocal with these victories.

      Delete
    6. I too agree with what Lynn and everyone else has said. The access to information that we have today definitely defines how people are able to connect and make activism happen.

      Delete
    7. I agree with Daniel, that social progress is met with heated resistance. For a person to change, she has to admit that her way may not have been the best and there is a better option. Many Americans consider being wrong as the worst thing ever! So they don't want to change because heaven forbid someone was wrong!

      Delete
  3. Chapter 27 Continued…

    What else impressed you in this chapter? Baca has done oodles of installations and murals. Wouldn't it be cool for every city to have a citizen artist that keeps community art going. Your take on Baca and this chapter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baca is wonderful--she is like the WPA murals but bright. Yes, what a gift to the community.

      Delete
    2. I liked how the artwork itself evolved into a new meaning through the history of time. The artwork resurrected in 93 because a center of debate later in 2005. I am happy the artwork became a symbol of a stance against the hate group demonstrating against it.

      Delete
    3. It kinda reminds me of graffiti art.. Trying to make a statement! Trying to get their point across no matter what! Sometimes it takes being drastic to do so! Don't we do this in our classrooms as teachers as well.. When students aren't listening we usually have to raise our voices above theirs or do something to get their attention in order to get what we need done.. Somewhat the same thing!

      Delete
    4. Baca’s quote on page 283: “If a drop of blood is shed on this site, we have failed.” This is powerful. This shows her true dedication to community, justice, peace, liberty, and love. Though her work is a strong, activist statement, it is meant to bring people together rather than to incite antagonism, especially the violent type. I had no prior knowledge of Baca or her work, but I am now a huge fan after having read this chapter and looked at her work online.

      Delete
    5. It would be awesome if Lubbock had a resident artist. Why don't we have one?

      Delete
  4. Kate Lyman: Teaching the Whole Story (pp. 168-175)

    I liked Lyman's ally community commitment where she states where she wanted to "help the students in [her] classroom to unlearn negative feelings and stereotypes about gay and lesbian people" (p. 169).

    Controversy and photographs. Your reactions to the chapter? Lyman's struggle to include LGBTQ issues and families in her school and her lessons? Things you took away from the article? Experiences you may have? (This is our last Lyman reading. I hope you enjoyed them.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While reading about the stuggles of teaching elementary kids or just kids for that fact, it is hard to think about how to teach about those deep issues. Teasing and name calling is something that I think will always be there. The issue is what is the teasing or the name calling going to be about. I can not connect to the person who is doing the action of the teasing or the name calling. I was a victim growing up of both. It seems to me that kids do not understand different people and they observe those differences. Not fulling understanding them, they want to point them out and find people who are more simular to feel " Normal" . I dont think kids just do this, but adults as well. Not understanding their perspective or why they are different, we do two things, observe and judge . Judging to decide is that a process or believe that I would do.... That is just an observation on my part.

      Delete
    2. I think that her bravery for attmepting to teach these lessons to her students is great. I think we as teachers are confronted with those questions of teaching morals, value, belief verses what is politcally correct or based on the administration or school board. Because I teach for a small district, the school board has alot of control and that can be scary. I used to be more intiminated by the school board becuase of their power, but now I am more relaxed. I am not sure exactly why I am, cause I know if they did not like me I would be out the door. Even my actions or words towards the kids, if one would go home and complain about me, would I be fired? I think that some kids have power, but in the end the adults do and seem pretty understanding. Through my experience of teaching, I have found myself to be more relaxed and willing to deal with parents and "intiminating " administration. I think it also comes from the assumtion of their view of me. I used to feel that parents would not respect me because of my appearance, "Your so Young!" " Oh, I thought you were a student..." I get these alot. Bring more confident in who I am as helped me get over that. Even though I still get that today and am now 30, I dont let it bother me so much. If they think I look a student it must be a compliment. ...

      Delete
    3. I like how her lessons seem to arrive on her lap from the issues that happen in the everyday life of her students, which I admire. She has a classroom that involves the learning of real life situations and problems. This is the type of lesson that I feel will change the child's life better than any other lesson. She includes a poem to initiate the discussion with her students that they seem to have as a student body conversation with just the teacher facilitating the conversation. I hope to create these types of challenges and lessons into my classroom to help my students become better people.

      Delete
    4. I have to be carful where I tread at my school but if a situation arises I try to show both sides of things to them and talk it out with them. I think it's important that ours students know both sides or to put themselves in their shoes. How would they feel? That sort of thing or relate it to something in their world.

      Delete
  5. Any issues or comments about posting on semester blog project sites? Also, look at side bar for images of MAE exhibit at LHUCA and First Friday Art Trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for posting those images! It is interesting to see. I would of loved to be there.

      Delete
  6. Here is my link again http://www.artnativeamerican.wordpress.com if some have not commented

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is my comment since, I do not know how to comment on you r site.... I live this idea. I like instead of worksheets its all online where the students look through. I am interested in doing some of that in my class as well. I have a few lessons where they are researching and then transfer their answers on paper. What site are you using? Or what site(s) do you suggest in going paperless?

      Delete
    2. Sarah I love this idea too how you choose to go about it. How you give them a prompt for them to read and then respond to! Very cool!

      Delete
    3. Sarah, your site design is very elegant. Do you plan on using this with a class or is this more an exercise in designing online lessons?

      Delete
  7. I wasn't able to view Lynn or Andrea's sites if they could repost their links :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never could view Lynn's site..... So I agree with Sarah =)

      Delete
  8. Andreasartisticpalette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete