Aug 5 Chapter 28 Bringing the War Home (pp. 287-295)
As we finish our quick Summer II, I want to sketch out the end of the semester. You will have until August 10th at midnight to get as far as you can on your semester project. Grades are due the 11th at noon. That gives me time to go over stuff.
I expect that everybody will look at everyone's else's blog. I am just asking one more thing in addition to your semester blog. I will post one more time that will be titled final semester project. What I would like for you to do there, is to think back to your ideas, doubts, calculations, process, and problems that you had designing your semester project. It's like insider notes--if you knew this… Usually lots of things go wrong and I want the class to get an insider view of the problems or doubts and other stuff that you dealt with. Possibly limitations? Changes? Etc. I'm expecting two to four paragraphs. It's a way to remind us all of the messy process: here was my first idea. I went with my fifth idea; I couldn't interview so-and-so so I did this instead--some of the rough interior stuff that we would never suspect happened.
Daniel posted/commented how social change is usually met with great resistance. Blair posted how difficult it is to teach about the deeper issues. Lyman was, as dead artist David Wojnarowicz would say, a brushfire in the social landscape. Almost all of those "great" people we read about from Emma Goldman, Eleanor Roosevelt, Judy Baca, Helen Keller, etc., all had similar lives to many of the lives we have read about--whether privileged or not. When people tell me that Kindergarteners are too young for something, I usually have them read something from Rethinking Our Classrooms, Volume 2; just to show them one example of how one person integrated deeper social issues in a lesson.
Kate Lyman is still teaching, 3rd grade, at Hawthorne Elementary School in Madison, WI.
See: https://hawthorneweb.madison.k12.wi.us/node/80
Semester Project
ReplyDeleteAs we wind down, I am looking at blogs this afternoon and will again over the weekend. I will put up a Semester Project Post where you will be able to reflect/think about and give us insider notes to your project and/or idea. It's sort of like the bubbles that appear on a song on VH-1; giving us background info, frustrations, problems, successes, etc.
Anyone need to posts anything here about your project? You will have until Sunday at midnight to get as far as you are able to. No pressure. These are all works-in-progress. I don't expect them to be finished. Hopefully you chose something that is actually of interest to you and you can continue with your idea in your classroom, or in other classes.
Any problems or questions we should be aware of?
If possible, I would like for you to reply on my posts for the final as if you were in my class. Look at the artwork and comment on the post about one, or read a Native American legend and comment on which one appeals to you. Plan on using my blog as a reference for an advanced art project and if the students see what a post will look like from other art teachers, I think it will be a little bit more of motivation to comment on the posts.
DeleteI am also currently working on an art work to go onto the blog to show as an example of a finished piece.
I am finished with my artwork just need to go back in and retitle is as well as write about the difficulties etc.. Then it should be complete!!!
DeleteThe Green Corn Moon event will take place after the class is over. The date is August 16 3-5pm We are having Native Americans from different tribes--you will be able to choose and Indian name. Our Wyandott name is Holds up the Sky. I asked her if it were a burden. She said she felt like she helped people and that's how she held up the heavens.
DeleteLynn can we have your site again I have not been able to view
Deleteyou all are invited:
DeleteA little loose end--Here is the information on the Tejas Warrior--its strange and very 1930s to me. (thanks to Samatha Dodd--Dallas Historical Society)
http://historianoftexas.blogspot.com/2009_02_01_archive.html
Sarah,
DeleteHere is the link
http://educatingartisan.blogspot.com/
I have several more broadcasters I plan on writing about, but I will be able to cover them all by Sunday. This project has been great to work on so far. I just published a new post today on Studs Terkel.
DeleteI'm still fighting with blog logistics because I am techno inept. I have an appointment tomorrow with someone to help me, so I will have everything up by Thursday at noon. Sorry!
DeletePost marker.
DeleteAug 5 Chapter 28 Bringing the War Home (pp. 287-295)
ReplyDeleteThis chapter is not about victories of war/s, but of what happens to soldiers and civilians in war. It is not pretty. It's a reminder that was results in serious issues. Were you aware that there are soldier groups that after coming back are against war?
This chapter is especially interesting to me because it involves performance. As I stated before, people think performance is for theater--not art. A former soldier writes: "They can see what we are doing and see that soldiers are going through a hell of a time and the occupation is really oppressive and violent and brutal on the Iraqi people" (p. 287). War has many levels. And casualties. "--the first casualty of war being the truth" (p. 288). Your thoughts?
Bringing the War Home is an intriguing chapter. It is a subject that is so real and sad, the tramatic experience soldiers live through. I agree with the message they are trying to protray, to make "the public recognize the trama that the soldiers had experienced and to make a political statement against wars in Iraq and Afghanistan" ( Lampert, 290). Common public will have no idea unless they live it or see it to understand their experiences. However, I think there is a way to go too far. I was timid reading through and curious right off the bat about the weapons. I was thrilled to hear they didnt have any. However, I think the same seriousness was displayed by the soldiers holding them the way you would along with their tone of their voice. I can imagine the sound of their voice reading through the quotes of their performance. I agree with the fact that war should not be taken lightly. Death, Violence, Loss... So many soldiers have to live with those tramatic memories.
DeleteI have never heard about this group, which is odd because I have grown up in the military my entire life, and even still work at an on base school.
DeleteI have many friends that have suffered from PTSD and I have seen the affects and tolls it takes on them after the war. I would really like to see one of these performances pieces. Although their approach is to inform the audience of the bad imagery from war, it sounds like they still maintain their organized an militant approach to performing.
At Texas State they had a booth for the Combat Paper workshops. I like how this company has transformed into a therapy for soldiers to release and tell their stories. I have seen more of their work at these workshops and they are all compelling and fantastic imagery like on page 294.
With my brother having served in the Army since 97 and serving 7 tours over seas this chapter really hits home. I think people forget what these soldiers and their families go through when we are at war. Not only are they leaving loved ones to go fight they have their responsibilities at home they worry about. They see all the terrible things they see and have to do in order to stay safe, when they come home they don't know how to be. I'm so glad that tho chapter focuses on helping mend those that are suffering. I'm a true believer in art therapy! It's such a release!! I can only imagine what it must feel like to shred their uniforms and make paper to write their stories on. At first I thought no that's so disrespectful! But the more I thought about how our soldiers are treated and how little pay their receive, and their pay usually gets cut first, they barely make anything to begin with as well as their pain and suffering, I changed my mind and thought GOOD FOR THEM! I wish I could watch and be apart of this! So many stories go untold and usually go to the grave with each soldier.. I can only imagine what they write and I would love to be able to read their stories...
DeleteYes, I was aware of soldiers groups who love their country and hate war.
DeleteHow I link the chapter to my life:
There is a blind Vietnam vet who comes to visit me in the museums often. Some months are very difficult for him. He is both outspoken and kind. I have videoed him a couple of times (with my phone) when he has felt like talking.
He doesn't like parade--remember he returned home to people spitting on veterans.
I asked him how he and other soldiers "who have been shot at in war" (this is how he puts it) would like to be honored.
He says he would like a hug and a "thank you for his service".
I can do that.
I agree with Lynn. Sometimes a simple thank you is perfect. I have a good friend who has just finished his third tour. He says over and over "No soldier really likes war. War is awful."
DeleteOne of the hardest parts about working at the Silent Wings Museum and teaching kids about WWII is that they all think it's fun shooting games. It bothers me when they pretend to shoot each other, or stand in front of our Nebelwerfer and pretend to be blasted away. I talk to them about the seriousness of war, the difference between fun and rewarding, etc. in hopes that it will plant a seed. Maybe I can incorporate some of the activist art into my tours.
It was powerful to read some of your personal experiences with veterans and PTSD. I’ve felt for a while that our government’s lack of care for veterans is pretty appalling and disrespectful. Of course there is the VA and VFW associations, but when it comes to health care, both physical and mental, the Verterans Health Administration drops the ball quite often. I don’t know if you all remember what went down Arizona last May, but that was just the most recent example of the federal government ignoring our veterans. The government is more than happy to send people to fight their wars, but not so eager to care for them when they return.
DeletePost marker.
DeleteWhat images of war or soldiers come to your mind? (It is stated that war for the most part is out of the sights and minds for most Americans.) What do think of the soldier stories of tearing their uniforms as a ritual toward healing? For them it was about transformation.
ReplyDeleteWhen I think of war or soldiers I think about my family. My dad went to Iraq my senior year of high school for year. He was able to come back and visit for my graduation then I did not see him until Christmas of my first year at college.
DeleteI think about all of the yellow ribbons on the trees on base driving through neighborhoods or hearing of soldiers that did not come home.
I think about our military community that works together to make sure everyone is doing OK and are there for each other through all of the rough times we face as military families.
I could never see any soldier I know in my family or friend ripping up their uniform. The military has provided so many experiences and opportunities for me and my family. I am glad however that these soldiers have found solice and healing through artwork.
I am honored to have so many friends and family that have served. It really made me think about my brother, my great uncle and friends that have served. It made my wonder if those that have passed would do this to there uniform and makes me want to ask my brother, but I can see his answer being something along the lines of "Are you crazy!" I wish my great uncle was still here to share his stories and I hope that when my brother comes around to sharing his that I will be there to listen. I pray all the time for our soldiers and their families. They make the greatest of sacrifices and I will be eternally grateful!
DeleteSarah and Andrea--your paragraphs have brought tears to my eyes. I don't have recent war memories. Thank you.
DeleteHow do you heal from a war? The land? The people? The Warrior?
Rending garments is a traditional way to grieve and then heal.
The images which come to mind are stills-- black and white photos that I have seen over and over. My great uncle nunzie who freed Rome-- drew on his pup tent--he made a doorbell, little windows with curtains and a sign that said no ice. He never talked about the war. He never left his home town again. He never healed. I think he lived with and uneasy peace of bartering with a difficult god to get him home. I don't know what he traded.
DeleteWhen I think of artwork displaying images of war, I first think of the history text books and how with major battles there were paintings of the event. After reading about the Boston Masscure, I now wonder how much of that was correctly displayed. In the contemporary art world, I think of Mark Vallen's work on the Iraq war and how he wants change through his image. http://art-for-a-change.com/blog/category/artists-and-the-iraq-war
DeleteAnother artist, Steve Mumford, actually fought in the war having an effect on his content of his paintings. From being interested in abstract expressionism to changing to a more of representational form of art is interesting to hear about. His paintings are more realistic, but still maintain that expression through the brush.
I thought it was very symbolic and moving. I also thought it was brave of them, because they can't take it back. Once those uniforms are shredded they can't get another one. It's a very definitive way to protest.
DeleteSarah and Andrea – again, your responses on this subject are very moving. I cannot relate to the soldiers who tear their uniforms, as I have never served in the military, but I fell that I can appreciate the significance of this act as a civilian. I think it ties back to the performance as art. Even if these soldiers are tearing their uniforms for personal, transformative reasons, it is still a sort of performance art in that it states loudly their pain of having served in a war.
DeletePost marker.
DeleteWhat most surprised you about tis chapter?
ReplyDeleteI was surprised that the performance organization was so large, and yet we have never heard of it till now, years later after these events in this chapter. Why did CNN And Fox refused to interview them? It shows how the news is one-sided and doesn't show the people the affects of others on the war. It makes me wonder what else we are missing in this country.
DeleteSarah I agree! I wish I had known about this sooner! It's such an awesome performance and therapy for our soldiers, it should be highlighted more! And yes the news is so one sided! I hate watching the news it's so negative. What about the positive? What about the good that the soldiers are doing? What about the truth of what is really going on over there instead of this media ratings world.... Sad... No justice!
DeleteI was surprised that soldiers were doing performance art. Many of the soldiers I know (especially active duty) look down on art at something fru-fru, let alone performance art! Very cool!
Delete"I am hoping I come out of this a little more whole, a little more at peace" (p. 295). "This is just me fixing me" (p. 295). Powerful comments from soldiers.
ReplyDeleteThis quote really stuck out to me as well! That's what art is for me.. Me fixing me! Working on myself! Helping myself get better.. PTSD is a scary thing.. I was diagnosed with it after leaving my sons father and my son shows signs as well.. It's a difficult issue to deal with.. Art has been the biggest release for me. I can only imagine what tearing, cutting, shredding that uniform and all that negativity, bad memories is released when doing so! Good for them! I hope so many more are able to do this and find peace in it!
DeleteSo much of the creative process--is connecting to something beyond oneself--that connection alone is very brave and is very healing.
DeleteI agree with Lynn and Andrea. This quote stood out with me too. The artwork is helping them coop and reflect to heal. I sometimes feel that way about my own work when working through my idea. When the work is finished, it is like it is out ... I feel more at ease. Then move on to the next, until I can get that out.
Delete“This is just fixing me.” Pretty powerful stuff. This just goes to show that even the most private and personal art has the potential to speak and change others.
DeletePost marker.
ReplyDelete