Thursday, August 7, 2014

Semester Project Comments

We are very near to the end. I would like to thank everybody for reading and sharing your posts and questions. I am glad I had the opportunity to read both books and reread Kate Lyman. All of the authors were thought provoking.

This will be the final section where we will all communicate about our blogs: if they are finished to look at; and where each of us will talk about your ideation of your blog (your ideas);  I encourage everybody to leave comments at each of your blogs--at your sites. Please give each one of us some feedback--positive and constructive if you'd like.

It is here where you will talk about some of the problems or successes you have in thinking up a topic, gathering ideas, putting together information, problems or issues that arose, problems that are still problems, thoughts you have, after thoughts you are having--just giving us some behind the scenes information about how you put together your blog. You may highlight doubts you had/have; obstacles you faced/face; that sort of thing. Post anywhere from 2-4 paragraphs and then feel free to respond to everybody's posts. You can post about current issues or what you hope will happen to your work. You can post about future impact of your blog on you and your work or your teaching or? And yes, I realize these are all works-in-progress.

You will have until midnight Sunday to finish posting any posts here. Feel free to comment/post anything anyone posts. I will try to check each day and I will add comments here. If you would like more response from me, just email me with a specific request.

Here are our due dates: Sunday 12 midnight all blogs and comments due here; Monday at noon Grades due.

Look on the syllabus for grading rubric. I will be sending each of you an email with some comments and a final grade. Let me know if you need anything else. I will be posting "Post markers" on here so I know who I have responded to--just keep posting your comments after the "Post markers." Ask questions on here or send me an email. Thanks again for a very nice and fast summer II course.

34 comments:

  1. Graffiti Project Response: After learning about how radical art can affect people through the readings during this class, I wanted to explore what is out there in my local community. Learning of a few key places where the street art is welcomed, I began my search. I found a new interesting place right off the bat where I ran into a local artist who I would call radical and was blessed to intervew him. He then invited me to part-take in the world of graffiti. It was there that I was questioned and thought about what would I graffiti if I had the chance. Throughout my search for the work around Dallas, I have brainstormed a few ideas for my own work. What message do I want to communicate? I decided I want to illustrate something about God's Grace and how he is there and listening. To implement my plan, I plan to put up a temporary wall on my back patio to practice spray paint techniques and develop my idea for when it comes my turn to graffiti the wall, I can be a professional. I have told a few of my friends of my idea and they have volunteered to help and to participate. I have even wondered how far am I willing to take this? To plan a mural project for my school? Church group? I am wondering how I might get approval for a feild trip. I also thought of an alteration of making a wall or to graffiti a wall at school with the student's work. These are some of my next steps for this project and I am inspired and excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you incorporated the community as well as a local artist to give you the graffiti insight! The graffiti wall sounds really interesting! Are you going to post this on your blog? As much graffiti as you have shown us, I imagine it will be widely accepted and others would be willing to help!

      Delete
    2. Blair, I like how your interest in the topic lead to you interviewing an artist. That is a great method of gathering data and making community friends. Great story of how you found your idea and, I like the additional things that might occur because of you investigating the topic. Who knows where it could end up? Great topic and idea.

      Delete
    3. Blair I love this idea! There is so much grad for art out there! I love that you want to not only do this yourself but incorporate it into your classroom and possibly take a field trip! I would also like to see what you create on your blog!!

      Delete
    4. It's wonderful that you are practicing new techniques and bringing your community with you.
      My suggestion is that one never forget the power of a really large stencil

      Delete
  2. How this all happened: At the Museums, at the end of July, we were installing Smithsonian’s Evolving Universe. It is an exhibition about the science of the stars. The exhibit was heavy on science and I knew I wanted to engage the community in a variety of ways. I had planned an event for August—but with National Space Club and some Astronomers. I became fascinated with the Ghost Dance. I wanted to incorporate something Native American in the Events. I talked to Ed and talked to Historic Preservation and to our Native American friend in the department to see what we could do to incorporate the Green Corn Moon.
    Who: I am a synthesizer. I like to build things. I like to make connections—even if a little tenuous.
    What: A desire to have an event with a spiritual connection to the stars evolved into researching the Native American connection to the seasons and the sky.
    When: Meanwhile, in class, we began reading a book about Native American Culture. I became fascinated with the Ghost dance and Native American ceremony. In Historical Preservation, we have a Wyandotte Indian. I wanted her perspective on the information I was reading. I talked to her about Alcatraz, about things she remembered—how she felt. Those conversations encouraged the event.
    Why: In my research, I knew we would overlap with one of the Native American 13 moons—the green corn moon. I knew it was a ceremony for thanksgiving. I asked our Wyandotte to help me with organizing an event to honor the spiritual side of the stars—people have been making meaning in the heavens since we first looked up at the stars.
    Advice to the future Professor Check Student:. Project-- Define early and contain. Find good reliable resources and advisors. I didn’t have a defined project in mind-- of how to incorporate the Green Corn Moon into Evolving Universe. It lead to some misunderstanding. . Our marketing department originally thought the Smithsonian had recommended a Green Corn Moon celebration. I had to draft a plan of work for the whole event with the reason for the addition. Also, its’s difficult to consistently put into practice some of the concepts learned in class. I am reminded of Ed’s early love of the dime store Indian and then the abhorrence of it because it seems disrespectful. Being respectful and kind and vigilant is hard. This is a big project with multiple moving parts, drummers/signers, story tellers, hands on activities and engagement with Native American culture—learn words, choose an Indian name, learn about culture I kept asking my Native American friend. I don’t know what I would have done without her as my sounding board and resource.
    Mulligans: The event occurs after the class ends. I wish I had read the entire book first before beginning the process of planning the event. It’s an event that kept growing and that’s great. It can be daunting to rein it in. Trying to book the Singers, test the hands on, get the agenda, city approvals, the press release out, and the collateral material: signage, program, etc. It’s quite a lot to do. Even yesterday, one of my colleagues told me that the executive director had decided to cancel the Green Moon Event because the mayor was busy. He had misheard but it caused panic in my museum world. Also, the press release went out with the word ceremony in it—marketing hadn’t swung it back through me for a final view. That upset my Native American friend—it is, by no means, a ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you also incorporated Native American history and crossed it with a different curriculum. You seem to have a lot of connections throughout your community that will make this event into a success to post about

      Delete
    2. Lynn. Great story. One can not make this stuff up. Love how your fascination with ghost dance drove you to do something. Love the connections to seasons and sky. And how another conversation with colleague grounded and guided your idea/s. Keep me informed/posted of your process/progress--whatever happens. This site will still be up. If you decide to post anything later, I can email everyone telling them to check our blog.

      Everybody else. This was such a short class. It's impossible to execute something that might occur over the course of five months in a regular course timeline--and even that is so short. Your ideas are all so powerful and engaging. Just the ideas count as well.

      Delete
    3. I think it's so cool that you were able to integrate culture into a science-focused event. I am not all that interested in a straight-up science event, but the Green Moon Event sounds really fun! It's a great way to engage different audiences. I hope it goes well!

      Delete
    4. Lynn I love how far this project has taken you!!!! I know it will be amazing to watch!!! I wish I could be there.. Please update us on how this goes.. I would love to see video and be able to share with my classes! Thank you for being so willing to dive in head first and to see it be a success!

      Delete
    5. Lynn, this is super cool and impressive. I love your identity as a synthesizer. I personally think that a dedication to the multidisciplinary in all things is not only beneficial but also necessary to quality work, And I agree with Andrea, I would love to be updated with how all of this goes!

      Delete
  3. Throughout my life, I have always been engaged in learning about Native American history. I was excited to read the books assigned this semester that had chapters of information on history that I have never heard before. When our project blog for this semester’s summer session was assigned, I knew immediately that I wanted to include Native American history to encompass the thoughts we had learned throughout the course. The hard part was coming up with what information to express through it. I asked my professor for some insight on coming up with an idea. When assignments are open for our interpretation and ideas, it is hard for me to eliminate and narrow down to a topic of my choice. Ultimately, I decided on creating a blog to use in my classroom with my students.
    Once I knew what I wanted to use my blog for, the ideas after seemed to easily come together. Each year I collaborate with the Native American Committee on Randolph AFB where I teach. I have several grades create a project that incorporates Native American history that are then judged by the committee and sent off to several other competitions. Recently as well, each student and teacher is receiving an iPad for a 1 to 1 tablet initiative. With these two important factors, I thought I could use this blog to introduce their new project for Native American History month as well as connect technology into an interactive assignment.
    I did not want to include cliché imagery for the assignment such a dream catchers or wolves. I wanted the art assignment to establish more of a thought process and interpretation of the artist. I found various sites that included Native American legends that I thought would establish a creative, unique assignment for each student. There, they could read the stories and find out which one the liked to create their project. It allowed them to not be stuck with a straight forward project, but instead were able to pick and choose which one captured their attention. I found one of my own and was able to create an example that I featured on my blog for the student to see. This project is in my sketchbook, so it is not a final and still requires details in certain blank areas, but it shows the viewer how to establish an idea from a reading.
    I am excited to use this blog in the classroom. I plan on posting a few more posts where the students can give responses and write to one another. I also included a page full of Native American art that shows just many medias of artists that exist in the Native American art community. Please feel free to use my blog as well if you think your students will enjoy their assignment.


    Here is the link once more http://artnativeamerican.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, a great example of using info and energy to complement your classroom pedagogy. As you stated, you using technologies and histories is paying ideas and images forward into you art classroom. Also great to stay away from cliche examples. I will be looking tomorrow again and Sunday at the blogs. I've already looked but can't wait to re-look at them and comment.

      Delete
    2. I love how your using technology in your classroom! It's hard to find ways to do this all the time and you did a great way to incorporate both history and technology!

      Delete
    3. I left this note on your blog: it's such a beautiful site. It's engaging. It made me want to work through the projects.

      Delete
    4. Very cool that you are able to use this sort of technology with your students. I'll be checking in to see what you add.

      Delete
  4. Everybody, I know how crazy it is to choose a topic in a course that lasts four weeks. I like the idea of works-in-progress--that an idea may be all you can think about and then relay that in a blog format. I like the blending of technologies and learning. Blogs can be great ways to introduce lessons and set up introductions to lessons. And blogs are great ways to have students comment on things that may not happen in the classroom due to time or other constraints. Thank you again for being so bold to create something for the course. I believe in giving students complete freedom and choice. In a way I am modeling democracy--we get to practice democracy and freedom in the class--and look at the results--great blog projects. Also, I did not want to assign and read some esoteric and possibly dull research papers at the end of the semester--that only I, the instructor, get to read. I wanted everybody reading and commenting/posting on what everybody is doing. Blogs make it possible to make your ideas immediately available to friends and students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part of my hang up with the final project was that I didn't know what to do! I like to think I'm socially aware, but I would definitely not call myself an activist. This class has changed my perspective on how important it is to maintain integrity and accuracy when teaching about art, and to push the boundaries to get museum visitors thinking about real issues. At the same time, I work at a museum that exhibits "safe" art, and I'm not an activist, really. I wanted to reflect on how I have been able to push boundaries of visitors. It took me a long time to figure out a topic and how I would go about completing it.

    My other trouble was with the blog itself. I am technologically inept. I just got a smart phone not very long ago. I couldn't get the blog to work for me, and aside from clicking the same buttons over and over (which didn't do anything different), I didn't know what to do. I finally called a friend to help me.

    I'm not sure if I'll keep doing the blog. It would be great as a journal, and I could include it in my portfolio...At the same time, writing my experiences has never been my strong point. Maybe I could just use it to show parts of my art journal and a quick reflection and how it relates to work...?

    Here's the address again: http://lisathinksaboutstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had similar issues. Looking forward to seeing your blog it seems like an interesting and helpful project to your career

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Lisa-
      I feel the same way as well--I have had to come to terms with I am here with warm milk and cookies, a shoulder to lean on, a hug. There are people who are constructed to be activists-fighters. We need them-they push us along. But when the fighting is done or during a fight -it's home and the people who love is

      Delete
    4. What we want. There is a role for everyone. You can be Penelope--cleverly loving and discreetly undoing the malicious.


      And as you see--as much we love technology--it sometimes does not do as we ask.

      Delete
    5. Yes! I can be the warm fuzzy person at the end of the battle! Or more likely, the fix-it person at the end of the battle...

      Delete
    6. Lisa, I'd encourage you to continue writing the blog. If you want to improve your writing skills, writing more is the best way to get better!

      Delete
  6. I am glad you are getting out of your comfort zone and trying something new! Technology can always be a challenge but it can also be an amazing thing to be able to use. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breaking Chains- Freedom!
    This project started in Junction with talking with Lynn about my other artwork and where I wanted to go with it. She suggested making a bust to make molds from and then be able to paint, add beads, do whatever with to continue my series.
    As we read I originally started with making a mold from my bust and wanted to do a sort of geniology type thing of my family and where I came from. I had just recently come into new pictures of my grandparents I had never met before. As we continued to read and I took an AP Art studio workshop, I was given a project to incorporate a trophy. I wanted this to fit into my series as well. At the end of the week we had to display our work and talk about it. I debated on what I would share. Would I tell them the background on this piece? Would I just tell the process? I was incredibly nervous!! I decided to give background on where I had been, what I went through and how this piece came about along with some of the process. I got an amazing response from my fellow peers! It was amazing!
    As I picked up a friend of mine that suffers from depression, anxiety, among other things. I was sharing with him this experience in class and how awesome it was to share and how a little but more weight is lifted each time I share my story and how those chains are broken with each piece I do. My image just came to me as I was driving. With all the readings about breaking rules, changing life, all the women's rights movements, Native Americans fighting for their rights and those chains being broken I thought it fit right in.
    I started with the background and wanted it dark with a light doing from the right top hand corner. I wanted a picture of me with my hands raised towards the light. For me this is Gods grace and all the amazing things he has done for me! I also wanted chains falling off of my neck with the balls falling.. I couldn't paint it fast enough! I wanted to work on it until it was finished and stayed up late into the night painting, something I haven't done in years! It just flowed out of me... Some of the balls were in the light because I will always carry this with me but they are falling farther away. Some are farther in the distance or darker as issues I have had I have dealt with, painted about and feel are not as present as others.
    I absolutely love this piece and how it turned out! It is such a positive piece in how God has truly touched my life and my sons! I am looking forward to doing more of this type of artwork. I know that my students really enjoy watching me paint in my classroom and many relate so much to my work. I feel that when I work like this and my students watch what I'm doing I get way more from my students. They produce more inspiring work and work that is from their heart verses just pieces of art with no meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story. I like how the class reading helps you to come up with a project to express yourself!

      Delete
    2. What a precious prize is freedom.
      You go girl!

      Delete
    3. Andrea - I have truly admired your total openness throughout this course. Inspiring stuff!

      Delete
  8. As many of you have mentioned, coming up with a concept/developing a blog in such a short amount of time was a challenge. I knew immediately that I wanted to do something about radio but was a bit timid at first – I thought maybe broadcasting strayed too far from the content of our readings. However, with Ed and everyone’s encouragement, I gained the confidence to devote my (ongoing) blog to important figures in radio broadcasting that have been catalysts for social change through their work.

    Radio has been (obviously) very important to me throughout my life. Music has been a passion of mine from a very early age. I remember constantly listening to Houston stations like 104.1 KRBE, 94.5 KTBZ, and 93Q as a child, loving the music but also being fascinated by the men and women who presented the music. The DJ has been a concept of perpetual admiration throughout my life. As I grew a bit older, I changed the proverbial presets on my radio dials from Top 40 music to public and college radio. Here is when my love for radio flourished. Through NPR and Rice University’s student radio station (KTRU), I learned that radio was more than Brittney Spears, sports talk, and beer commercials. I learned that this medium can, should, and is being used to ask questions, challenge the status quo (musically and socially), and make a difference in people’s lives. I have mentioned a few times in my blogging that radio has had a huge impact in my personal development as a socially conscious, open-minded person. I know I am not perfect and there will forever be room to grow, but I know that without certain radio programs in my life, I wouldn’t be who I am today.

    My love for radio and music led me to host a radio show throughout my undergraduate years and I have continued this by doing a show for KTXT in Lubbock. Though I am pursuing a career as a museum professional, I hope to continue to be involved with radio in one way or another. I currently work at the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library on the TTU campus in the Audio Visual archive. Coincidentally, the project I am currently working on is a digital transfer of 17” vinyl pressings of United States Armed Forces radiobroadcasts from the 1940s and 1950s. I love being able combine these two parts of my life into my work.

    I plan on continuing this blog for myself and for any of you all who might be interested to read more. There are so many more stations and personalities I would love to share with you all. Thank you Ed and everyone else for being so supportive as I write about what I love and think is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you have incorporated your love for music and artists! Your blog is set up so nicely!!! I hope you will continue this! Very inspiring!!

      Delete
  9. Daniel, great explanation and project.

    ReplyDelete