Wednesday, July 16, 2014

July 16

July 16  Rader pp. 61-70 (Chapter 2); Lampert pp. 110-34 (Chapters 11 & 12)

Andrea posted a question as to why so many of our toys are white. If you haven't seen a toy aisle in awhile, head to a local toy department and look at army and cowboy and Indian toys. Quite awful the state of toys. I am hoping that everybody is googling the sites people offer. Did anyone get a chance to google the Edgar Heap of Birds Indian suggestion?

I am also struck by what everybody is noticing about the readings as opposed to what I notice; probably a generational thing--but I look forward to your viewpoints.

39 comments:

  1. Semester project ideas. By the 25th or 28th of July, I would like for you to have your initial ideas for your semester project up and running on a blog site. It can be initial ideas, statements, musings, etc. So, anytime anyone has more ideation available, give us your updates. It will help each of us to know that you made a breakthrough or are struggling about something. Possibly one of us can be of help; we just have to know what your are struggling with. Feel free to share or pose questions here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we already have a blog that was started from previous classes will tht work? Or do you want a whole new blog?

      Delete
    2. I think I am going to do some sort of mapping or timeline project, I just don't know what timeline to focus on. I feel doing it on my life wouldn't be as interesting as an event in history.

      Delete
    3. I have started to document on the graffiti around dallas. I am having trouble using my iPad to post images, therefore do the writing until I get to a computer next. I have already encountered an dallas graffiti artist in my excursion! So excited about this project !

      Delete
    4. I’m still thinking about doing something on radio – certain activist broadcaster personalities and stations. I’m sure my project will broaden as I look more into it, but I’ve found some interesting literature already. Radio Active by Kathy Newman looks at anti-commercial activism in radio from the mid-twentieth century in America. Do you guys think this strays too far from visual arts for this class?

      Delete
    5. I have thought of two specific exhibits where my political views differed from what my boss wanted me to teach, and how I have addressed/will address that.

      Delete
  2. Chapter 11 Banners Designed to Break a President

    I was completely blown away and was never taught of these herstories. And for the most part, these were her stories about middle class white women. I am wondering who made the banners--possibly outsourced; but the idea to produce banners for protest is wonderful. I also noticed the race politics of that time. Women of color not even considered. Note how women were treated in the parades-physical attacks, etc. Those are our histories. Also keep in mind how photography serves as a method of documenting/constructing an event or the past.

    "The press ridiculed these actions as offensive and unladylike" (p 115). That was 1917. What do you consider "unladylike" in 2014? (I would like everybody to respond to this question.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed this chapter. I thought it was so interesting to read about how women really stood for what they believed in, I don't think is much different from today and how women stand for what they believe in. I thought it was unreal how they were treated in the prison and even after that they still did hunger strikes and then being force fed!!!! I wonder if prisoners today go on hunger strikes are force fed?? Anyone know? It makes me very thankful for their suffering that women told are held I think for the most part equal. I don't always think it is equal but I doubt that it will ever be completely equal. Men are better at something as women are better at others.
      As for "unladylike" does that even exist anymore?? I mean it should but does it? What used to be unladylike such a bodily issues is more accepted today, women compete in pie eating contests and such and I think eating correctly or small portions or just a salad has gone out the window! The way women sit or dress compared to back then is not ladylike at all, women breasted in public, I really think so many of the ladylike things have been put to the waste side.. Very sad because I think with it so has the respect for women and our bodies. When we as women want to be treated more like men the ladylike part gets throw out so that we are able to meet that standard. So many of my students young girls have no clue what some of the mannerisms they should be doing to be more ladylike, it's not taught anymore at least not what I see..

      Delete
    2. My opinion of the term 'lady-like' has changed so much from when even I was growing up. I was much more of a tom-boy when I was younger, and was constantly told to stand up straight, cross-legs, comb hair, which was then always followed by 'act more lady-like.' I have never had issues with girls who remind me of my young-self. To me, being 'unlady-like' is used for girls who are disrespectful to themselves. They wear over the top with makeup, indecent clothing, and have little respect towards themselves with how they dress and act. They use their dress, body, makeup to attract attention, mostly from men.

      I never thought about how black women were treated until reading this chapter. I honestly have a much higher respect for them for continuing to partake in the movement even though they are told to go to the back. They are the true fighters in this movement for standing up for everything they believe in and having to fight for the battle every step of the way.

      Delete
    3. Lampert's chapter 11: Banners Designed to break a President

      These women reminded me of the pervious chapter about the Paterson Pageant. I thought to be ironic that they were "primarily white, middle-class women" and disregarding the involvement of black women. I could of not imagined what it must be like to live through a time with not very many rights.

      As far as Ed's question goes, what is not considered lady like today? Growing up with mostly guy friends my entire life, I have asked myself that question. Being a girl meant to gossip, play dress up, and shop to me. I wanted to play, get dirty in the mud, and be strong. It was not until college that I ever got my nails done and cared what I looked like as a "lady". No other girls liked to fish, drink whiskey, build things, or just play in the dirt that I new. Therefore, most of my friends were guys. It did not bother me until I ended college and truly wanted girl friends. When it comes to the business side, equality is there where women do not have to watch what role to play. It just matter if you over step the role of your position no matter if a male or female.

      Delete
    4. Lady-like in 2014? As a male, I did not grow up with any sort of standard of femininity to live up to so I feel less qualified to give a meaningful response than Melanie, Sarah, and Andrea. I will say that within my circle of friends (and I think my generation) the gender norms of chapter 11’s era are antiquated. I actually cannot remember the last time I heard the term “lady-like”. However, I do tend to gravitate towards and hang-out with progressive, creative types, so my idea of this generation as a whole might be skewed a bit. I do recognize that sexism is still very much a reality and these “lady-like” expectations affect the lives of many American women, but maybe not nearly to the degree discussed in this chapter.

      Delete
    5. Andrea – the hunger strike and force-feeding really spoke to me as well. Horrible. I don’t know if that happens still today in the US, I’d be very surprised if it did. I know there was a relatively recent hunger strike at Guantanamo Bay where prisoners were tube-fed.

      Delete
    6. I would say that burping loudly is considered unlady-like today. Which is too bad because I'm quite good at it.

      On a more serious note, I have noticed that the south has a different definition of lady-like than the Midwest. Growing up with feminist parents, I was never told to act like a "lady" and the idea that there are things that ladies are supposed to do and men are supposed to do is fairly new to me. I offended a lot of people (still do, probably) with my un-Southern, unlady-like behavior. Sometimes I do it on purpose to throw people off. If I am walking into a building, and there is a man behind me, I hold the door for him. I absolutely refuse to let him walk up to the door and then hold it for me. I think the idea of men holding the door for me just because I am a girl is ludicrous so I refuse to go in front of them. Maybe that's one way I resist social norms.

      Delete
  3. Chapter 11 continued…

    The unladylike citation is from p. 115.

    Notice the disagreements in terms of actions between different group of women. What did you think about the jail sentences and hunger strikes? It states that by the end of 1917, the movement was taking its toll on many women but also the President of the US. How often are we aware of what we had to happen to change history? What about the one lawmaker (p. 119) who changed his vote at the insistence of his mother? (Maybe the personal can be political.)

    Other issues that arose for you from this chapter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if those women had not stood of for hat they believed in we wouldn't be where we are today. It takes strong people to change the course of history and for them to stand up for their believes. I'm not sure I would have been strong enough to go through what they did. If they chose to go on a hunger strike why would they force feed them? Reading this makes me wish our jail system was more like it used to be, maybe it would keep a lot more out of jail and less of our tax dollars, people don't fear jail like they used to, it's an easy way of life.... The women being thrown in solitary as well as being beaten for standing up for what they believe in sounds so crazy, and to keep going afterwards says something about how incredibly strong they were!!! I don't think many women today would do as they did and go through what they did without it turning into something sexist or abusive etc, where they took it and didn't complain but got right back out there to change history for us! That's incredible to me!

      Delete
    2. In history I have learned how Wilson is a hero for allowing women suffrage. Yet, now I am learning how sexists and racists most of our leaders, who are supposed to be supporting and representing ALL American, really are. This book has really changed my perspective on government. Almost every issue, the people who are fighting for their right have to go through the most grueling tasks that show how much they care about it to gain perspective. What ever happened to freedom of speech and human health and rights violations in this day? I can't imagine forty men being OK to brutally torment women just because they hung up a poster. Ridiculous.

      Delete
    3. I have a cameo with Athena (warrior) on it instead of a mother and child. I was told it was a probably from a suffragette. Athena was an icon . I love that these women even had subversive jewerly

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. They also treated them in "unladylike" ways --brutal in the prisons. Can you imagine our well to do
      Enduring that today?

      Delete
    6. We have re-enactors for part of our living history at a working farm in Grapevine. My houses are more early 20th c. --the teens. How fun to have some suffragette -among those who reenact.

      Delete
    7. When I was in school and we learned about women and the vote, it was just a little unit that basically said, "so women couldn't vote. There were protests, and now they can." I didn't learn about the struggle the women went through until a feminist curriculum theory class last semester. It was so eye opening!

      Delete
  4. Chapter 12 The Lynching Crisis

    I want you to google The Black Holocaust Museum in Milwaukee AND the 1921 Tulsa Riot. Read a bit about each. Your responses:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People forget the Tulsa riot and it is shocking!

      Delete
    2. I never thought to tie the term 'holocaust' to African American treatment, but I instantly see how the term can coincide with the treatment of the Jews as well. I would like to visit this museum. Its interesting that the founder was a survivor of lynching. Its nice to see that someone used that to give the world more information on this horrid history.

      Delete
    3. Through The Black Holocaust Museum in Milwaukee and hearing Dr James Cameron's story was encouraging being a Christian. His good actions with the power of his faith saved him from such a nightmare. I enjoyed hearing about God' work. The action of lynching by a mob sounds terrifying. It makes me think of if those people where aware of the evil they were committing.

      It amazes me when I encounter people who have that much hate, anger or evil in them. Sometimes, I consider myself naive to those things, but in the end do not think it's all that bad to be unknowing of cruel things. You can never undo what you see. For example horror films today, I can not watch them at all. They are physiologically damaging to me and give me anxiety. I would rather watch a happy Disney film.

      Delete
  5. Chapter 12 continued…

    The description of Sam Hose's murder on page 122: tortured, castrated, killed, body parts sold, knuckles on display--this is also our history. The postcard sent (p. 125). It was an industry of terror and torture.

    Let's focus on the Waco, TX Horror (p. 127). Witnessed by 15,000 people. It is incidences and histories like these that scare the crap out of me as a gay man when I venture into small towns and certain parts of cities--this stuff continues to happen today in different ways but as ugly and harmful. Sadly, these lynchings were not exceptional--but ordinary. What does that say about us?

    On a social class note, du Bois hoped that the "talented tenth" would lead a race and educate the other 90%. Do you feel he was misguided in his social class bias of where leadership can arise?

    Part of this chapter is about visualizing the lynching industry. For something to be an industry, there have to be rituals, histories, methods--all present and documented. How do we begin to teach about this and honor the murdered? How do we unlearn violence as a method? Lynchings appear to create "war zones" in cities and neighborhoods. What do we do with these histories as visual arts teachers or educators?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This chapter was incredibly hard to read for me... It made me so sick to my stomach that people could do this to another person. They should be ashame of themselves for treating someone so horribly. And I really hate the race issue it drives me crazy how if a black person rapes and kills it's ten times worse then a white person raping and killing, or if a white person says something racist how everyone goes to town on him but if a black person says something racist it's accepted more easily.. Why is this!!!!???? It's all the same! What they did in Waco disgusts me and at the same time people need to know about these things, if we don't read or hear about them then it's like they never existed and if that's the case then we are not learning from our mistakes or pasts or making our future better or teaching our children that this is not ok. I would hate to think that there could be rituals involved in such disgusting acts but I'm sure there are, like the KKK, I'm sure they have rituals they do or perform. All of this makes me sick and embarrassed that we as a people could treat others so horribly because of the color of skin someone has. If someone abused a child or sexually assaulted someone they should have the same punishment as the next person no matter of skin tones.. It's so sad that people still do this today and that people have to live in fear for being a different color or because of their choice of lifestyle.. It saddens me that we as a people cannot be more accepting of others choices.

      Delete
    2. Your question on how to teach these things to our students really has me thinking. I know it's such a thin line on how to bring these type of things into the classroom without having a million parent phone calls and the superintendent knocking down your door for inappropriate material. Jacob Lawrence comes to mind on how he recreated his neighborhood in a more positive light. What about pictures of the victims before the brutal beatings and talk about them, maybe do some sort of mosaic or collage of the victims to pay tribute to their sufferings and talk about their experiences without having to show just how brutal it was, and at the same time it makes me want to not sugar coat this so that we touch the young lives of tomorrow so that they see what people have done and they make a difference and a choice to not treat people as badly. Maybe showing our students this type if thing would help with all the bullying we have today. Maybe it wouldn't and we would give them ideas.. I don't know.. This is a hard topic to address in the classroom.. I am definitely going to continue thinking on how I can work more of this into my lessons....

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. I agree with Andrea on how difficult it would be to teach this in class without having a gruesome result. However, I think it is important for my high schoolers to know the history that defined the US. Perhaps you could collaborate with the History of English teacher at this time and consult with a collaborate project. An idea that comes to mind is having the students create a propaganda poster and talk about the issues it illustrates. The imagery on page on 132 and 133 are great examples.

      Lynchings being 'ordinary' in some parts of the world- sad. If only the world could stop looking at people as white, black, Hispanic, gay, straight, with fear, and start realizing we are all people, who are all different. In that aspect, it irritates me how much people get upset about things that are frankly, none of their business.

      Delete
    5. I think that some students just like the attention when they think your being racist even if you just point out if they are not white. Apparently, my colored pencil container is racist because we run out of black colored pencils by the end of the year. It seems every year I have to talk to my students about the seriousness of calling someone a racist and what that actually means verses celebrating or even pointing out difference. That just because people are pointing out differences it is not always negative.

      Delete
  6. {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red34\green34\blue34;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    \deftab720
    \pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

    \f0\fs26 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
    \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 I first became away (not in this horrible detail) from Billie Holiday's rendition of the poem "strange fruit. " \
    What's hanging on the tree with blood on its leaves? }

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having lots of trouble with blogger today
      here are the lyrics
      By Billie Holiday and Abel Meeropol (1937)
      Southern trees bear strange fruit,
      Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,
      Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze,
      Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees.

      Pastoral scene of the gallant south,
      The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth,
      Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh,
      Then the sudden smell of burning flesh.

      Here is fruit for the crows to pluck,
      For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck,
      For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop,
      Here is a strange and bitter crop.

      Delete
  7. I am a Texas Native-as horrible as these stories are I am so glad they are not forgotten--that they are told. Perhaps it will prevent further violence.
    the bbc has a program simply on
    lynchings in Texas
    How upsetting that there is enough information for a whole program.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Wow! Those lyrics are really moving.

      It's so much easier for us to gloss over the hard parts of our history. As I was reading this chapter I wondered if this is how German people feel about WWII and the holocaust. It's not something they're proud of, but how to maintain the truth when it's so painful to recall?

      Delete