Tuesday, July 22, 2014

July 22

July 22  Rader pp. 101-10 (Chapter 4); Lampert pp. 188-98 (Chapter 18)

Thanks for your posts. Keep in mind on Thursday I will invite you to DropBox to access one of the Lyman articles that we will read. They are very quick reads and demonstrate one way to integrate what we have been reading into a classroom format. Lyman describes all of the issues she had to deal with. Very interesting stuff.

Lynn, thanks for posting your semester blog address. I encourage everybody to follow what gets posted for semester projects. May give you ideas and encourage you on yours. Daniel posted about graphic novels and Persepolis. Great connection. And a great idea--someone could pursue/develop a short graphic novel for a semester project. Sarah posted about documenting immigrant stories--can never have enough of those. Another great semester project idea. (And now I will stop about ideas.) Blair posted about what Okubo was really thinking. COuld it be that she never felt safe to ever say what she was thinking. She may have witnessed many things that frightened her. We have been reading what US citizens have done over the years. One would have to have a lot of courage to do the things many of these people did because there seem to be lots of negative reactions and violence that followed. 

Keep this in mind about the questions that I pose. Thank you for your willingness and openness to respond to questions that I try to develop. You may always propose others for us to respond to. 

30 comments:

  1. Chapter 18 Come Let Us Build a New World Together

    For me, this was another gripping retell of SNCC (student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee) and what people did to foster positive social change. Documenting the power of photographic images. "Photographers had become the eyes of the civil rights movement" (p. 193). I'm noting how violence was used to uphold "white supremacist" (p. 193) ways of knowing and living. Does anyone see remnants of racism today? In your neighborhoods? In your schools? In your textbooks? In what people still say? Jokes? Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Segregation, a time which my parents grew up in. I wonder if my parents remember hearing what was going on in Mississippi. I am amazed to see the violence brought on by the white supremacy even though a peaceful atmosphere like praying which those men ran over that young girl. It amazes me of the disconnect people make to do certain things.
      I asked my father about what he remembered of the issues or memories he had. He remembers they kept on the other side of town and still were segregated in Texas in schools and High school. He remembers merging of some junior high school and the closing down of some schools that were integrated because of the problem of taxes and funding. He talks about the discussions about the funding being an issue at least in his town of Temple Tx. The school then sent half of the black kids to another school and then half to another place. They saw positives in sport including football; they would have a better team. Some even had chips on their shoulders just as much as the white kids. Therefore tensions were high in the social aspect. Some you got along with quite easily, he further explains. He remembers almost getting into a fight because he stood up for a black kid. And then was asked if he wanted to fight. But in the end, because he stood up for the other guy, it was all over and it was friendly again. Most of the time they disconnected from what was happening because things were exaggerated by the news and chaos and they just wanted to just go through school. He talks about the Black teachers were harder on the other black students. Like the example of a young boy who threw up and she made him clean it up. He thought that was pretty rough. There was not constant attention to the issue, most of it was dramatized. To conclude, everything was still in groups…. They stuck with their kind, grouped together. He also talked about them being the slow people in class with the education: Slower to answer questions or to learn the concept due to the fact of funding or because of their earlier education experience. The older generation would also have strong impression: “ I don’t want them stinking up the class room” “Don’t want my kid hanging out with that ….boy”. After hearing about my father’s experiences, I decided it would have been a stressful time to grow up with. I can see some of the same issues in schools today, especially teaching in a lower income area.

      Delete
    2. Racism definitely still exists today. I watched a documentary back in high school on a parade they do in Louisiana around the Marci gras time. They still have a white prince and princess and a black prince and princess. In the documentary it interviewed the families and had them go to each other's court ceremony. They way their races mixed seemed so out of place for them and you could tell how tense the families felt about it.
      I was called a racist this year by a student for asking him to clean up his area. He felt I was singling him out. Another student accused another teacher of the same thing. I overhear a lot of students claiming people as racists. The n word is used in jokes left and right.
      Although he term racist seems to be used continually and without evidence, there are definite cases in law and law enforcement and lately with Hispanics and the immigration crisis that is bringing out racism in America

      Delete
    3. Sure, racism exists today. I know I talk about radio almost every day, but there was a big event in that world a few weeks ago concerning racism. The “Opie and Anthony Show” was a pretty well known comedy-talk show on satellite radio. It has a very strong fan-base and had been running for over twenty years. I have never been a fan of the show, personally. They are of the “shock-jock” tradition that is a dime-a-dozen since Howard Stern became popular, in my opinion. Earlier this month, the Anthony of “Opie and Anthony” went on a racist tirade on twitter after an altercation he had with a black woman in Manhattan. SiriusXM fired him within the next few days because of what he wrote. What he said was undoubtedly racist, but the reaction from his hardcore fans was even worse. I don’t need or want to get into any of the horrible things that were said, but that’s just an example of how real it still is.

      Delete
    4. I definitely still see racism.. I see it with mixed race couples and people starring or mumbling under their breath. I dated a guy that was Hispanic and if we went grocery shopping or something we found that people would stare and look at us like we should be on foodstamps and looked surprised when we used cash or debit card or would look at us like we shouldn't be driving my car because it's a nice car and being young I shouldn't be able to pay for it without government assistance. I just wanted to turn to those people and say "No I'm not on assistance I have a good job and pay for things with my own money!" It would really make me mad that people were that judgmental or prejudice because we were a mixed couple.
      At my school racism is not tolerated at all and is handled very quickly when it does happen. I mainly hear jokes or racist slurs out in the community. It's sad that we can't accept everyone for who they are after everything that has been done in the past.

      Delete
    5. I was once told that using cotton-pickin' as an adjective, as in "wait one cotton-pickin' minute" or "get your cotton pickin' hands off my stuff" is racist because it relates to when we had slaves. Is that so?

      Delete
  2. It was commented on p. 195 that "[o]nly the Federal government can protect us and it won't." Often in today's news, the opposite seems to be happening--some/many people feel the Federal government sticks its nose into too much. Note that once again Bob Dylan is photographed (p. 195). Artists are allies of civil rights causes. That most of the photos taken were of people organizing--documenting their work to end apartheid in our country.

    I still remember as a kid in the 1960s driving back in our station wagon from Milwaukee, WI which was one of many cities that had race riots. I remember my dad telling us to duck down (at night) as we were driving back home.

    What I also remember was that I took my sister's two boys to The Black Holocaust Museum in Milwaukee years ago when it was open to check it out. Uncle Ed was in town--I always wanted to see it and they said they would go with me. It was a small center with an exhibition area and a small gift shop. The exhibition up then was very large photo-documentary work of various civl rights marches in Milwaukee. One photo was of Fr. Groppi, a white Italian priest known for his civil rights work. He often was a lone white person in a sea of people. Made me think how divisive civil rights era was. Was unusual to see many white people participating. And that was in the north.

    As we continued in the exhibition though, there was a photo at a corner on the south side of Milwaukee that was historically Polish. Very near where relatives had lived. White people in the photo were watching African Americans marching, evidently on the south side. The signs carried by whites were horribly racist. I said to my nephews, "you both are half Polish-American, and here are part of your roots. Not the best moments for being Polish American." The racist histories were documented. Was difficult to view.

    Has anyone here been faced with a moment/time when you had to say something against what may have been popular? Also, how are race relations handled at your schools or places of work? How do we handle race issues currently?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My next observation was the list of civil rights activist/leaders’ mentioned who help record the SNCC movements. In that list I only recognize Malcolm X. Malcolm X who is a leading activist still known and talked about today. I find his background story appealing and how he became involved in his participation with the segregation movement. http://www.malcolmx.com/about/bio.html states his father was a victim of a supremacy action in his death on a railroad track , a Black Legion led group, for his support of a Black Nationalist. Malcolm X’s career and life is impressive with all that he accomplished even being an Islam minister. Because he was very influential to the African American culture he is a leading idol and there was even a movie made after him. He spoke to give Blacks the courage with his speeches to stand out against the oppression. I am interested to learn more. “Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it.” “Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.” His quotes are a calling for action and respect. http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/malcolm_x.html

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Again, sorry for all the errors but blogger is really bad on the iPad and you can't go back to edit spelling errors

      Delete
    4. My experience of being an atheist some what pertains. It has gone against what most, friends and family, believe in. I realized I wasn't religious and always questioned it since I was young, even though my entire family is Catholic and we went to church every Sunday. By the end of high school and college I began to tell people my religious belief. You would be surprised how different people treat you once you tell them that you don't' believe in God. I had friends stop talking to me because they didn't trust me as a person, with many assuming because I am not in religious I now have no morals. I guess it rooted out bad people. Most assume the term connects to "the devil" and anarchy. I became very outspoken and debating it on college, but lately there is no point and I have come to terms that if people are going to judge me for it then they aren't anyone I need to get to know.
      It's almost sad, that you can't tell people your personal belief for fear of judgement. When I think of how I feel about this, I can't imagine how people felt about racism and being outcasted based off their race, gender, or being gay.
      I am really enjoying this history book. It brings out a lot of emotions on how dark our history. I wished it was used in schools or more people were told to read it. It would change a lot of perspectives.

      Delete
    5. I went to a very small, very conservative Baptist school for my entire childhood – from kindergarten through high school. The student body and staff were made up of 98% white people who attended the church with which the school was affiliated. My closest friend growing up was an Arab Muslim guy who went to this school with me the entire time. He didn’t talk about his religious beliefs very much until we hit high school. Needless to say, his religion and ethnicity alienated him quite often in this setting, especially after 9/11 (we were 7th graders when that happened). Around that time, people started saying horrible things about him, students directly and staff indirectly. He was my best friend so I was constantly sticking up for him. He was never bitter, though, and to this day is the most positive, happiest person I know.

      Delete
    6. I'm one that speaks my mind and will most likely get me in trouble. I do not like racism and will usually say something. My sons father is very racist and it would drive me crazy when he started talking about someone because they were of a different race. I refuse to allow my son to be the same way. It is one thing that I love about Harmony school system and how many different races we have and how many people are from so many different countries. I love that my son will grow up in a school knowing so many different kinds of people from all over the world. If I say one of his classmates names wrong he will correct me and I love that!! There is a movie and I can't remember the name but it's about a white family that adopts a black boy. His mom comes back into the picture and she's fighting to get him back. His adoptive mom has his hand in hers and she asks what the difference is and he replies with his is smaller. I love that!! They see know race or color of skin but just the size of their hands! If only we could all see it this way!

      Delete
    7. Wow Daniel that is crazy. We were overseas at the time and I did not see the affects until some years after. It reminds me of the issues so many have with mosques being built, especially in NYC.

      Delete
    8. Here is a story from a parent perspective-several years ago, I was at a 2nd grade (7 year old) Lacrosse game. My children's funky but prestigious private school was playing a University Park elementary (an affluent neighborhood in Dallas). The coach of my kid's team was from Jesuit and was an African American. Mine you --again 7 year olds. At some point--it appeared that the game would won by my kids private school coached by the African American. Then, in front of all the parents and 7 year olds on both teams, siblings and passersby , one of the UP parents began yelling at our coach and called him the n word. 21st century!

      Delete
  3. Once again, as I read the story of the three civil rights workers who disappeared, I think about the courage it takes to stand for what is an American right. I was also unaware that major American photo artists were involved at some point--Dorothea Lange and Richard Avedon to name two. Your thoughts of how the SNCC stands as an example of a social justice organization that utilized artist contributions? Are you aware of any local organizations that utilize artists for positive social change? Or artists acting on their own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked how they paid for a photographer to travel to sites and document what he could to promote their issues. Its nice to read how these organizations make art a necessity in their movement. They used to it to show their audience how the people were being treated.
      I am not aware of any local organizations that do this. I feel lately it is more freelance artists who sell their artwork to news papers and TV newscasts to gain money. It is for their own personal wealth, and I think we have lost the effort to do this for a cause.

      Delete
    2. I knew people from Meriden, MS. It's full of ghosts and secrets.
      I looked up some of the background of the civil rights photographers
      http://flavorwire.com/249320/10-essential-civil-rights-movement-photographers/10

      Delete
    3. I feel like the Tornado Gallery is an organization that uses art for positive social change. I would be hard pressed to express exactly why, though. Aside from the farmer's market I can't think of any concrete examples. Maybe it's from talking to the owners and I know how strongly they feel?

      Delete
  4. Rader pp. 101-110

    Is everybody aware that in the center of this book is a section of color plates? They start after page 146. If not, take a look at them--they are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After posting about wanting to see some of the images in color and searching for them online, I was humbled to find those pages. I agree, they are beautiful

      Delete
    2. Love the color plates! The "Trail of Tears" street sign is especially cool.

      Delete
    3. I found them.. They are amazing!! Such beautiful work! As much as I love black and white the color in these makes the artwork so much more powerful!

      Delete
    4. An essential part of the book.

      Delete
    5. I have fallen in love with Memory Map!

      Delete
  5. Rader examines the texts of the movie Skins. It differs significantly from Naturally Native. I am reminded of a story that a friend described while traveling through Fort Sumner, NM. She stayed a night there. I guess she was visiting the Jesse James Museum. woman at one of the local hotels told her to watch out for "drunk Indians" as they were just paid that weekend. This example dovetails nicely with what Rader writes about the movie Skins. The statistics on Native reservations are startling. Aside from "complicated and entangled family drama[s]" (p. 106), Native histories are fraught with all kinds of social injustices. Has anyone been able to watch one of these movies? I know Smoke Signals is available on Netflix. Your take on this chapter? How do the descriptions of these movies move us away from the Hollywood-created Comfort zones? What happens to films when they try to represent contemporary problems and issues? Are we as a public taught how to consume such complicated pieces of art?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen Smoke Signals. It's been a while ago. It was certainly difficult in 1998 to make a movie like Smoke Signals. I think it might be a little easier today. We have more independent film options and possibly more venues and means to watch--
      It's still difficult to make movies out of our comfort zone

      Delete