Welcome to Our 5360 Blog
First off, welcome to the blog. Just so you know, only class
members are permitted to blog. This is a private blog and no one else will be
reading your comments but your classmates and me.
Here is how things will work. I am asking that you post a
minimum of four times per day--so we can develop a virtual dialog between
ourselves. That means blogging a few times throughout the day. I am asking that
you post your comments by 8 am the following day. Not all at once in a row. I
will go through each day and read all of the comments (as I require you too)
and note how many times you comment. That's just a technical thing on my part,
so I can see who is participating.
Keep in mind that you will need to look on our blog more than
one time per day. If you are an early blogger with your posts, wait an hour or
two to respond to other comments. It may take a while for people to respond.
For those who respond later in the day, I still expect everybody to read the
entire day’s posts—even if that means going back to read them. If you miss a
day, do not post in the past day. Post your comments for the previous day in
the current day. Just let us know you are doing that.
You need to read the syllabus for more information and then look
to July 8th for reading assignments and any other information and to begin
posting. I will have some comments, questions, or thoughts to begin a
discussion for that day. Those are merely to begin a discussion. My comments do
not determine the discussion. They are mere prompts to create a discussion. My
perspective is but one of many. It does not rule.
In two weeks, I will further explain the project I'd like you to
do this semester. You can read about it in the syllabus. I require that you
write in first person. That is unfamiliar to many people. But, when you write
about your art or a project you are involved in in your capstones (MAE
students), you will need to write from your own perspective and life and
professional experiences. Let me demonstrate: “I feel that…,” “I believe
that…,” “My experiences have been…,” I am hoping that you will blend in your
personal, professional, community, and other aspects of your life experiences
in your comments.
The two books we are using, I hope, will be interesting to you.
We are looking at histories of persons normally ignored, deleted or written out
of official histories. We are reading the books simultaneously: A People’s Art History of the United States
and Engaged Resistance. As we read
them, I want you to think where are you in all of this? Is this information all
new to you? What are the authors saying? Where are artists in all of this?
Where are teachers in all of this? What do we do with this information (that's the pedagogical part of this)? As this is your and mine first reads of
these books, some of the information may startle or frighten you. At first we
are reading two three chapters a day; but they are pretty accessible. Toward
the middle of the class, the readings decrease, so you will have time to
consider a project.
A word about reading books: For many of you, and me, these books
will be a first read. I have not read either book. There is only so much I/we
can take in from a book with one read. We/you/I may read it from a personal
perspective, political, environmental, social, gendered, etc.—there are many
ways to engage in a book. I am asking that you look at it from a personal,
professional, artistic and/or community perspectives. Feel free to engage
yourself in our conversations. Ask questions. Make mistakes. Think beyond.
Agree with books. Challenge them.
Each day, I'll post comments and questions to get us started on
our readings. Please feel free to bring in movies, books, articles, talks,
exhibitions, websites, work and/or experiences, professional and personal
conversations and anything else you feel is pertinent to our class. I am hoping
we will develop a personal and intimate dialogue on this blog.
Please review all of the tabs and then proceed to July 8:
Introductions, where there will be short directions on what to do. Welcome
again to Art 5360. Feel free to email me any questions or concerns you may
have. If you miss a day, just make up your blog postings in the current day.
Always make them up. (Do not make them up in the past day.) Some of you are
teachers and things happen; others have summer jobs. No need to apologize on
here. Just get your posts in even if they are late. Never a penalty. Please do
not fall more than two days behind. Even if two days worth, post in current
day.
Please always use "I" language. It will make your
posts even more powerful. Feel free to ask questions in your posts. We may not
have the answers. Feel free to recommend books or readings or films or
exhibitions that relate to our talks/posts. And please read everybody's posts.
That will mean you will probably have to catch-up the following day for a few later
posts. And feel free to carry discussions forward from one day to the next.
And, one last comment about posting on the blog. Starting our second day, post
one or two initial comments about the readings. Then, wait a bit, read some of
the other posts and post two more times. That way we get a better discussion.
Try not to post four times in a row. I understand that means that you might
have to go back in later in the day to see what people have posted. But that’s
the nature of a non-synchronous course like this. Generally, people post toward
the end of the day. We’ll get into a groove that hopefully will work for most
of us in the class.
Also,
keep in mind that I have made all of us authors, meaning that you can add video
and pictures as I can. It’s much easier to do that as an author than a reader.
One caution, sometimes with blogger your comment/post may not load. There is only so much wordage allowed. Sometimes you will have to break down a long post into two posts. I sometimes write my responses in Word and then paste them into blogger so I don't lose anything--that's just for extra long posts.
No comments:
Post a Comment