Sunday, July 27, 2014

July 28

July 28  Rader pp. 141-50 (End of Chapter 6/Beg. of Chapter 7); Lampert pp. 235-41 (Chapter 22)
             And Kate Lyman: Girls, Worms, and Body Image (pp. 107-111)

Hope you all had a good weekend. I'm thinking of two posts by Blair that many commented on. One was that she has Indians from India in her school. India has over 1.1 billion people, imagine all of the contemporary and historic artists it has as well. Also, I like the idea posted that Blair gives students choices and input. As Rethinking Our Classrooms says, the best discipline is a good curriculum--and the best curriculum invites the lives and expertises and interests of students. 

I have also noticed that no one is commenting on the Rader book questions. So, for tomorrow, let's skip ahead in it and start Chapter 9, reading pages 183-190. The last two chapters take it back to art. I sense literary analysis is not that interesting to everybody. I would encourage you to check our a Sherman Alexie Film--Smoke Signals--it's a totally different pace and theme than Hollywood films. Or any one of the other ones mentioned if available. 

So--reading change for tomorrow--Rader 183-190--don't forget. 

Also, if I haven't mentioned it yet, if you have never heard of or seen or read The Guerrilla Girls, google www.guerrillagirls.com




42 comments:

  1. Chapter 22 Public Rituals, Media Performances, and Citywide Interventions

    Much of this happened in early 70s when I was in high school. None of this was mentioned in school of course. Lampert writes that "performance space operated as a safe space to address painful subject matter" (p. 236). Would anyone like to address where your safe/safer spaces are to address painful or serious subject matter? Has that ever occurred in a school space? What are some of those social spaces? Anyone willing to share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the school settings, these safe places have often been in smaller classes. I remember one specific safe-place I had in college, a Historiography class I took with 3 other students. There were 2 female students, one transgendered student, and myself. The class was led by a Feminist History professor (one of the best professors I've ever had). Needless to say, this class greatly impacted my worldview and understanding of social issues. I was 19 years old and had never been exposed to the sort of ideas being discussed in this class. It was safe because I felt like I could ask any question I had without judgement. I've stayed close with most of the people in that class to this day.

      Delete
    2. This was a hard chapter to read as it really hits home. My son's father raped me with my son, age 14 months at the time, on the bed. After attending a group counseling session for domestic violence victims and learning that even a partner or spouse or boyfriend can rape you did I realize that I was raped and was ready to talk about it, a year later. No means no, no matter who you are with. My safe place has been a few close friends, a counselor and now my art. That pain is hard to talk about, hard to dig back up and confront. And at the same time every time I do another piece of art about that pain and suffering and the crap he put me through a little more weight is lifted from my shoulders, my chest, a little more anxiety goes away. Time, healing, going through the motions, being strong enough to face that pain again is what has made me stronger. Reading this a hard but it's easier than it was a year ago, two years ago, 5 years ago or on June 5, 2009 when it happened. Sharing my story only helps me a little bit more, I know for those women having a voice makes others aware and helps with the healing process. It's almost like a death.. Anger, guilt, sadness, all the stages you go through when you lose someone, knowing you lost your voice and your right to your body....

      Delete
    3. To diplay such serious or fragile subjects, I would display artwork in a place connecting to the content. I think my church would be open to some of these topics, especially rape. When I cover world issues in my class, as I have mentioned in previous postings, rape is a topic that is a choice. Other issues that come up are abortion, sex trafficing, child abuse, depression, body image, bullying, etc. Because I teach middle school, I have to be careful and require them to show me 2 rough drafts before starting their idea for their artwork which allows me time to make sure it is ok. I have observed students who choose those particular issues are students who are interested in saying something about them. I have noticed a few students put their personal experiences in their work, which make it really strong. I am always inspired when students use their art to work through their issues.

      Andrea- Thank you for sharing your experience. That must be hard to share sometimes. I admire your opennes and it is encouraging to hear how you are overcoming it.

      Delete
    4. I would love for you all to send me pictures of your safe places. If you can take iPhone photos of you in them at 10 am. Its part of my project.

      Delete
  2. Has anyone participated in a public work of art or a public performance piece?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never participated in a public art, but would love to do so. I thought about applying to various grants and have my art club students participate with me.
      In high school I created a mural in the hallway of Monet's water lilies. I really enjoyed having a permanent painting displayed for future students.
      My art club was asked to do a mural this upcoming school year about deployed parents in the student hallway. I think this will be something the students will enjoy and attach to.

      Delete
    2. When I did my student teaching her advanced art students painted a mural in the hallway. They had to create it as a group, get it approved by the principal and then they were allowed to start work. I was only there for the first week that they did this and did not get to see the finished product but it looked really cool! I'm hoping that my principal this year will allow my students to paint the ceiling tiles as well as a mural in my classroom... All yet to be approved. As for myself I have never been apart of any public art or performance art.

      Delete
    3. During high school, two friends and I had an experimental band that would often street perform in the Montrose area of Houston. Our desire to perform outside on the sidewalk was partially inspired by a lack of venues in which to perform and the thrill of engaging with strangers who would stop and watch. It wasn't a very serious thing at all, we basically were goofing around, but it was a great experience.

      Delete
    4. I have done a couple of public art pieces--one a bronze bas relief for a civic organization and the other painting on concrete markers for the Texas Highway Commission. No performance art--I am sure there is a global sigh of relief.

      Delete
    5. I did some of the yarn bombing the Ranching Heritage Center had a while ago. It was fun!

      Delete
  3. What else impacted you from the chapter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved how much the performance pieces portraying important and ignored pieces of our history. Do these performances still happen today? Barricading city hall? I feel we have lost this type of art, but maybe I am just not aware of it?

      Delete
    2. Ch. 22 Public Rituals.
      The opening scene where all the gross liquid mixtures with combinations of eggs and nudes caught my attention. The strange cobination made me curious about what it all meant. I would guess the point would be to shock the audience. Learning that it represented the idea of rape and the effects on the issue, I was intrigued. I also admired the idea of the next work with the maps and that it was a work in progress. That raises a good question, when is a work of art finished? Does it have to be finished before displaying it? I like the artwork where it invites the viewers to participate to represent other people views or events. I think this work is very powerful considering the subject and it is representing the rape location and how often it happens, to give the viewer the idea of time.

      Delete
  4. Kate Lyman: Girls, Worms, and Body Image

    So, what surprised you from this essay? Did you notice the students performed a public performative piece?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that she taught this subject matter to such a young age, but how receptive they were to analyzing it once she had an open discussion of thoughts with the students. This essay made me realize how much gender has already affected students at such a young age. I thin Lyman was bold in opening up some of these topics with the students. I would have a hard time discussing this with even middle schoolers due to some of the content.
      This essay instilled that the earlier, the better, to discuss these topics with the students and as educators we shouldn't be worried about offending and taking discussions too far when the importance of them is so severe.

      Delete
    2. I agree Sarah! I love how bold she was and how receptive her parents, and admin were willing to help her through this lesson! She has some very valid points. How often do our students consume themselves with personal image? Makeup, hair, clothes, too many choices.. Too many things to think about! I wore sweats and a t- shirt most days to school.. I played outside and worried more about getting home to play outside until the street lights came on then what I looked like! I do remember when I was I think 5th grade I forgot to brush my hair before school I was so worried and no one even noticed that it wasn't brushed... I think back to how silly it was. Good for her for doing something like this... How cool would it be to do this with the whole school for a day? I wonder what would come out if it?

      Delete
    3. I was surprised that girls squealed at worms in elementary school. Middle school--squealing. Elementary school--studies show girls still love math and science. What a shame that culturally women have been lost to these fields-- today we have the lowest number of women in STEM fields

      Delete
    4. The thing that surprised me the most was that second and third graders were worried about being too fat and that boys wouldn't want them. For Pete's sake! They're seven and eight years old. Makes me sad.

      Delete
  5. Kate Lyman: Girls, Worms, and Body Image

    So, what can you take away from Lyman's pedagogical wisdom and courage in her classroom? What kinds of gender stereotypes do you carry as an adult? How safe is it for you to incorporate such social practice in terms of gender issues in your lessons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. My dad and I were just discussing gender roles. He mentioned that colleges were in talk about paying football players... My response was how is that right or fair one to other sports especially softball women teams or basketball for either genders? That to me speaks that only football and men are important. There is more than just football players that are valuable! And definitely more than just men that deserve to be paid if that's the case! And why should they not only get full rides for their school but also get paid to play football? My dad agreed. We also talked about how women are asked to wear skimpy things when working at places like hooters but men are not? Lots of questions....and the results are all about money!!! Sad what women are asked to do but not reversed...

      Delete
    3. I think in high school it is very safe to discuss this topic. We did a similar activity when we discussed a 'good advertisement' and the students discuss in groups the meaning behind advertisements and how it was sold to the public. However, this activity would have a much better meaning if it could be implied differently to their lives. If they could see how these advertisements are thoughts about men and women.
      I see a lot of gender stereotypes as a female coach. We are not relied on and taken seriously by our athletic director and male coaches. They see women's sports as 'just having fun' and not as serious as male athletics. They treat our staff completely different

      Delete
    4. Girls, Worms and Body Image

      I really enjoyed reading through this article. It is fun to see perspective shift among kids, that you helped open there eyes. When growing up in a high income area, I always noticed from elementary school how the idea of image was a big deal. I remember being teased becuase I was not wearing the right name brand shoe. However, I did not care so much at that time cause fashion was never on my mind at that age. I guess that is why I got along with boys at that time since they just wanted to play in the mud and did not think about things like that. I do think there is an arguement for considering kids image when they are over obeast to the point they are diabetic or malnutritioned. But this article, is talking about something different.

      I like the idea of her lesson and am considering to try something like that esspecially at the age I teach. Middle School students undergo alot of changes and they are beinging to learn differences. I support the idea to teach stereotypes and let them form their own oppinions. To apply this idea in my lessons, I would extend the lesson into an art lesson where they remake the advertisment being more honet and straightforward in any media they choose. They could display the work next to the orginal and write a reflection. English teachers and principals alway like it when you get the kids to write.

      Delete
    5. Have you seen the Like a Girl Campaign by Always feminine products? They have a series of commercials out. I love them all! I don't think it's ever to early to discuss gender stereotypes. I talk to kinder about women in the workforce all the time.

      Delete
  6. Rader pp. 141-150

    I'll skip to Sherman Alexie that Rader states in an institution. Have you seen any of Alexie's films or read his books or essays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read or seen any of his stuff but I will definitely check out one of his films this week.

      Delete
    2. I have not either. I had never heard of him until today. I will try to look at his work this week.

      Delete
    3. Yes and I read the young adult- Absoluted True Diary of a Part time Indian.

      Delete
    4. I have not read any Sherman Alexie's work, however, I intend on doing this. I am looking for a way to watch Smoke Signals and go from there.

      Lynn- Is that a book that you recommend?

      Delete
    5. Hi Melanie--Its a young adult book kind of tough but in the same tough way like young adult read the Book Thief. It won the National Book award and its both funny and terribly sad-- so bittersweet.
      My book club read it when it came out and the group as a whole really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  7. SEMESTER PROJECT Updates

    Please leave your addresses again for us to look at each other's ideas. Please leave a comment at each site. Thanks. Ed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://artnativeamerican.wordpress.com/
      Here is mine thus far. I am going to publicize it on my art teaching blog that I use to connect to various other art teachers.
      The purpose of it is for a resource for a project that any of you are welcome to use if you plan on using Native American art in your classroom.

      So far I have an assignment idea posted on one of the pages. I am going to make a sample of a project idea to post with it. The students have various sites to look and analyze Native American stories and myths and will take that imagery to make a work of art.
      Let me know your thoughts and if there is anything else I can add

      Delete
    2. Andreasartisticpalatte.blogspot.com
      I have all of my artwork and where my series started as well as my story for each piece. The last one added is the piece I am working on for class titled. Freedom. To me this is about all the people that have fought for our freedom and the pain and suffering they went through to get us to where we are today. This is also about my personal freedom and letting go of all the pain, suffering and abuse.... Please give me feedback...

      Delete
    3. Sarah this looks really cool! I like how you gave them something to research and then respond to! Very cool!

      Delete
    4. https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=308304068778477061#overview/src=dashboard

      Delete
    5. Here is mine with the first post. More to come!

      http://radioactivis.blogspot.com/

      Delete
    6. Andrea, your link does not seem to be working for me...

      Delete
    7. http://dallasgraffitiobservations.blogspot.com/

      This is a developing journal about graffiti and street art in the Dallas area. I start by documenting the difference between them and record my journey to find what is in Dallas. I am looking for street art or graffiti that is political, radical, or just simply symbolic. Start from the bottom to see the first posting and work your way up to see my development. My goal this week is to continue through recording more street art in Deep Elm and also present my artwork idea before the class ends.

      Delete
  8. Here is mine with the first post. More to come!

    http://radioactivis.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete