July 21 Rader pp. 91-100 (Chapter 4); Lampert pp. 176087 (Chapter 17)
Comments about Friday's posts. Lynn posts about her project and how to document it. You can take photos of the installation as far as it gets. You can focus on one aspect of the installation--dolls. You can post conversations had during making dolls, focusing more on one aspect of a larger event. It doesn't have to be the whole thing. Does that help?
Blair's example on dallasgraffitiobservations.blogspot.com are spot on. She is giving us a journey through a journal with her thoughts. One nice way to begin to document. Photos are grand.
Lisa posted about road repairs and water taking priority over art, for ex. My opinion, just mine, is that each community has it's own histories with the arts as to whether or not they are important and on or at what level/s. As Lubbock grows its arts districts, different people will have different opinions as to what is or is not successful. Wealthy people depend on artists and artisans to this day--just look at their homes. What they think about artists--hippies or weird, that's more about them than the artists. Places I have visited recently, San Diego, New Orleans, Ottawa, Canada, Chicago, NYC, Wash DC, Seattle--all sport incredible visual and architectural scenes--whether they are considered important or not by locals. And, everywhere there are stratifications of the arts--who is in--who is out--who makes decisions--everything we have been reading about. Museums do it differently than local galleries who do it differently than schools--all have vested and different interests. It is often hippies vs. academics vs. local artists vs. formally-trained vs. self-trained vs. outsider artists vs. museum quality artists, etc. As Andrea posted, white artists still tend to be out of touch with anything having to do with others other than themselves and their own art--and making art is very difficult on its own. Students will tell us that their parents will not pay for them to go to college to learn about art--that that is a dead end. Galleries are another way, but Lubbock is not that much different from NYC in terms of galleries--where it costs a lot to be a part of that culture. Private galleries are businesses--they are in business to make money selling art first and foremost--no matter what anybody says--most decisions are profit decisions. What sells, sells. Sometimes the history book authors disagree.
Project ideas look great. Keep they low-key and personal and it should work out well. We only have two chapters today. Starting Friday and all of next week, I will be adding one essay to ground us pedagogically. You will be invited to Drop Box. We are almost half-way through.
Chapter 17 Resistance or Loyalty: The Visual Politics of Mine Okubo
ReplyDeleteOkubo trades one war zone (European) for another (internment at home). We get to read about her decisions and her documentation. Note American approval of internment, all the way to the Supreme Court--and notice what happened after the war under Truman. Your take on her documentations? Her art?
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
Delete{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red34\green34\blue34;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0
\f0\fs26 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 I enjoy the fact that all her work has her involved in the image, which ties them all together as the artist and detainee. It's sad to read how quickly freedoms can be given and then taken away. Even worse, is our freedoms as Americans to have certain rights and the Japanese that knew the law and shared it suffered even worse punishment. \
I am surprised at Okubo's stand as the artist to not be more outspoken. I assume that most of the detainees took the adjust response by agreeing with every way they were treated. This really surprised me! If I was taken from my home, job, and friends, I would not easily adjust to a crowded camp in Utah.
Chapter 17: Resistance or Loyalty: The Visual Politics of Mine Okubo
DeleteI cannot imagine what it must be like to live during a time of a war zone. Neither the less the time of where Japanese Americans were all treated to be an enemy of the U.S. “ The federal government and the media depicted Japanese Americans as an enemy within” ( Lampert, 177). This reminds me of the bombing of the twin towers on September 11th. Everybody was nervous around people who looked like Arabs, however they were not portrayed as all enemies. I wonder if it were that way and what would happen… to close down all their finances and export them into concentration camps. I am shocked they did this to even with people with no evidence of wrong doing. It seems unfair and un-American. What about their rights as Americans? The year 1942 does not seem so long ago.
Okubo’s journaling about her experiences in the camps through sketches reminds me of Anne Franks diary through Jewish concentration camps. Learning about this made me suspicious of Americans version of a concentration camp. It can’t be as bad as Hitler’s concentration camp, were they killing them? Those were my initial thoughts. “Living behind barbed wire and guard towers, in extreme weather conditions, where sorrow, boredom, and anxiety were commonplace” ( Lampert, 179). Sounds like a miserable place even though they said it was pioneer getaway. I am intrigued by her drawings and want to see more.
Looking at the original Citizen 13660 book through Amazon, I noticed the layout of her book. It reminds me of a children’s book with illustrations at the top of the page with the writings at the bottom. The artwork is illustrations of what she journal about on each page. I am also impressed with her style and detail. Her self-portrayal of herself is ironically similar in each drawing. She remains the same throughout her story. I enjoy seeing the development of her story. I also noticed her lack of range of facial expression in her face. Her face looks either lack of emotion or maybe even stern. As I continue to read, it’s ironic how Lampert even agree with my observation. “ It is difficult to know what Okubo is really thinking about the scene”, “ she never shows or tells us what she is actually feeling” ( Lampert, 181).
I also enjoy the image on page 184 and the humorous detail. There are a lot of funny little things to notice from the people closing their noses around the septic tanks to the girl dancing. All the people have slight detail that illustrates either action or identity.
Like Melanie--I found it interesting that she "didn't connect" with other narratives in the camp. She told her story--from her perspective.
DeleteI also found it interesting that her semi-subversive images (although considered benign) with the aid of the camp officials, helped get her a job.
Also, I have started the background for the Green Corn Moon event on the blog--
Deletehttp://educatingartisan.blogspot.com/
I was talking about this chapter on my drive back home. War is a strange and dangerous thing. I always found it interesting that according to the Geneva Convention-a prisoner of war had to be located somewhere with a similar climate to the climate the prisoner was captured. It was intended to keep POWs from being shipped off to somewhere "inhospitable". Many of the Germans captured in WWII, were captured in Africa. Where in the US would be most like Africa--well, the German Speaking Texas Hill Country, of course. There were prisoner of War camps in Texas--twice as many as other states.
Deletehttps://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qug01
The Japanese internment continues and will always fascinate me. From a global war that is arguably most remembered (and rightly so) for the systematic, racist internment and murdering of millions in Europe, I am constantly amazed at the lack of recognition for what the United States Government did to Japanese-Americans. John DeWitt’s quote on 177 alone proves that this policy was totally racist and irrational.
DeleteMine Okubo’s Citizen 13660 reminds me so much of Marjane Satrapi’s graphic novel Persepolis. All of it: the graphic style, the autobiographical telling of a woman standing out in tumultuous circumstances, the levity and humor with which these tough issues are approached… Is anyone else familiar with Persepolis and/or see the similarities?
DeleteAs much and I know think as little as I know about Pearl Harbour I had no idea that they were held in concentration camps! I too thought of Anne Frank while reading this. It makes me sick that we as Americans did this to people that didn't deserve to be treated like this. How long were they stuck in this horrible place? The more we read the more it saddens me we treat immigrants the way we do but at the same time I think they need to do it legally and have the same opportunities and that we should all be treated the equally regardless if we were born here or migrated here.
DeleteI want to see more of her art and more of her stories. I loved how she incorporated herself in each one. I couldn't help but think how scary it must have been to have her artwork looked at and wondering if it would be confiscated by the guards. I can't imagine having someone constantly watching me and always searching my make shift house as bad as it already was to then have no privacy what so ever. I'm so grateful that she chose to document how horrible it was and to share her experiences with us. Not many I think would want to or would be willing to do this for fear of what could have happened to them.
DeletePost marker.
DeleteSome of Okubo's artwork made me think of the immigrant children crisis we are facing now. They are housing the immigrants in unused prisons and other detaining facilities. It can't be all that nice--probably like being in an internment camp. What an American Dream :/
DeleteChapter 17 Continued…
ReplyDeleteLampert writes that she adapted and adjusted. And then goes on to write more about that. What is your take on adapting and adjusting?
Often in war, there are many fronts: home fronts, the media and war, women and war, writing about war, art and war, veterans returning after war, psychology and war, histories of war, the dead, annihilation and destruction, art losses, community and state losses, etc. It's very complicated. A poet laureate (Romaine Brooks) from Illinois wrote that war for her means death.
So far we have read many complicated histories all related to wars and/or war zones. How is that impacting you?
The Ipad does not seem to work well with blogger. Sorry for the code encrypted into my blog.
DeleteContinuing what I Said before, I was surprised by the adapt and adjust of the Japanese. Then, on the last page of the chapter Okubo states, "...after the war, they no longer had to return to the Little Tokoyo of their parents." I am assuming that many of these Japanese, who were American, still suffered the Asian stereotype, and going to these camps helped prove their cause to the US. They were able to go and start a new and feel "American" because they followed all of these rules. I wonder what the stories of many of these immigrants were. Did they feel that this is how Americans are, and it is better than how they were grated in Japan? Was it all worth it?
If this experience happened to me, I would imagine myself implementing the same sort of thing, to use my artistic skill. I would imagine that being there would be boring and I am pretty good at self entertainment. Due to the fact I am an only child, which is probably one of the reasons I became an artist in the first place.
DeleteHer sacrifice for her work is also interesting. “Okubo was given the opportunity to leave Topez in 1943, but she decided to stay until January 1944 to finish her sketched of camp life before moving to NYC for an illustration job” (Lampert, 186). It amazes me that she would stay there to finish. The camp reminds me of prison; would you stay another year if you could leave early? It also shows her devotion for her work and how it was an opportunity for inspiration.
Okubo brings up a good point about resistance. Her idea of resistance is much more passive. When I think of resistance I think of something more radical and in your face.
Sarah-I feel your blogger/ipad pain.
DeleteI, too, found Okubo’s dedication to the completion of her art to be particularly interesting and amazing, confounding even. I can intellectually appreciate that she might want to complete an artistic/journalistic piece as a public service, but at what a great sacrifice! Truly inspiring that is. I am sad to say that my reaction to this sort of treatment/situation would be totally negative. Any artistic output I would generate would probably begin as aggressively combatant, eventually becoming darkly humorous. I have never experienced war in this direct a manner, however.
DeleteI could only hope that I would find myself creating art while in such a place... I'm not sure how I would react. My brother has served I believe 7 tours for our current war.. When he is gone I cannot watch the news, I am not able to watch war movies or handle anything revolved around war. It scares me so bad just thinking about where he is, what he has to deal with, the things he has had to do... All the war stories right now just makes me sad how many lives have been sacrificed and what people have had to endure for us to be where we are. It makes me eternally grateful for their sacrifices of not only those that went through it but for the their families as well as I understand the hardship that families endure during war times..
DeletePost marker.
DeleteI have found that when I'm in high-stress situations, I shut down all my emotions and shift into survival mode. I do what I need to do to survive and don't reflect or think about my actions. By contrast, art-making is a very emotional experience for me--it's how I process stress and threatening situations. If I were in a situation like Okubo's I don't think I would be making art at all. I would be too focused on shutting out the pain and emotions. Even sketching would breach that emotional wall.
DeleteBeg. of Chapter 4 The Cinematics of Engagement, The Politics of Resistance
ReplyDeletePossibly because he is writing about just one film (that I ordered online and will get in a week), I really enjoyed Rader's examination ofNaturally Native. So, let's ask his first questions of us: "For years, Americans consumed westerns like cotton candy, and almost no one asked any questions about their cultural nutritional value. Can these movies reinforce racist ideas? Do they reflect American ideals of colonialism and white ascendancy? Do they marginalize ethnic groups? Are Indians really like the ones depicted on the screens?" (p. 92).
Anyone willing to share her/his personal journey of Indians? How you were introduced to them? Ho/?What you were taught about them? What questions you may have? How you feel you have been enculturated--if that helps you you or works against you as manage or negotiate the cultural realities you face?
I agree with Rader about the depiction of Native Americans through movies. In westerns or films, the Indians seem to be most of the time as the “bad guys”. I think Hollywood has a lot of power of influence on Americans. Besides of their influence on Indians, I think Hollywood also influences people idea of bigger themes as love. Real love does not work in the same ways as the movies. Growing up in the time where movies and television were like babysitters, Tv has a lot of influence to me. I did not notice the influence it had on me as far as stereotyping. I thought of it as learning about culture. I always admired their artwork through their clothing, symbols, and their crafts. I never associated Indians today with the Indians depicted in the movies because westerns seem like stories from a long time ago.
DeleteI was introduced to Indians from the time I was born.. Both of my parents have Indian in them but not enough to pass down for me to qualify for anything. My moms dad had Indian but he died when she was 18 and his mother died when I was young, his sister is not sure exactly what tribe but thought is was Cherokee or Cikapoo. On my real dads side his mother had Indian as well but not enough to pass on either and I believe it was Cherokee or Cheyenne I can't remember which.. I have loved getting to know my family heritage at least on one side my real dads I know more, than my moms as so many have passed on and didn't pass on the family history, or won't talk about it due to the abuse that happened. My real dad has always painted Native Americans and western type scenes, my mom always read about Native Americans so it was always in my forefront. My ex husband was also part Indian and his mother shared a lot about their history, they were related to Quannah, which was very interesting to learn about. This has always been something I have been interested in learning more about and I am glad to be able to extend my knowledge even more through these books.
DeleteNative Americans is kind of a new thing for me. I loved western art and culture when I was little; I wished more than anything that I were Navajo. But I never really thought of Native Americans as individual people--they were Pocahontas-ized to me. Driving to Texas was the first time I passed near a reservation, I met people who were part Native American, ate "Indian rations". It's all still new to me. I know that Native Americans are people but still kinda view them as one big sea of faces rather than individuals...
DeleteI'm noticing that Rader criticizes that there is no Indian canon or expert film critics to follow. That is a very academic reaction or reflection to a problem. Why does he not see himself as a valid opinion or source? Why do we need to rely on others/outsiders/experts? That could be a very academe-specific quandary. What would it mean to be apart of constructing one or more new canons? Ways of looking or knowing?
ReplyDeleteIn a way, we all have our canons-what we have learned and learned to value. Has anyone seen or knows a real INdian family (as posed as a question on page 96)? How does one enculturate, in other words, be like every other American family, and yet have Indian-specific problems/histories/needs?
I have a couple of native american friends- who practice their traditions. We are relying on their experience for authenticity for our Green Corn Event. That being said, they don't live in traditional houses or in a unit. They gather for ceremonies and events--like a family reunion with power.
DeleteMy uncle in law's wife is full Native American. Her portrait is hanging in the Native mpAmerican museum they now have in DC. I believe it's only a few years old and worth seeing! Similar to Lynn, they have a strong family bond and still participate in rituals like dances and sweat lodges. Any Native American I've ever met is very humble and quiet, not that that is a stereotype or how they all are, but just a similarity I've noticed.
DeletePost marker.
DeleteMaybe the reason he relies on outsiders is because of the dated anthropological thought that insiders are too objective? I don't agree but it was a thought I had...
DeleteAt the top of page 101 Rader notes that "Indian casinos do what the government has been unable to do--make real differences in the lives of Indian people " (p. 101). Many people have formed negative opinions of casinos and casino cultures. What are your experiences with casinos? Where do your opinions come from? What interaction do you have with Indians?
ReplyDeleteMy opinion of casinos is that it brings in crime. Drug trade, prostitutes, etc. are known to come with. I have only been to Las Vegas, not any casinos like Eagle Pass, that this chapter may be referring to.
DeleteOther than what I have been told, casinos seem to be a successful business. Las Vegas was like a fairy land. So many different types of people and attractions. I loved the way the buildings were relplicated like various cities.
It has changed the Native Americans lives. My biases are a little different as a Sicilian American. Think Onion article when I say this tongue in cheek--The payout was better when the mob ran Vegas.
DeleteI have really only been in a casino a couple of times and have very limited experience with them.
I really am not a proponent of organized crime. But here is a link
Deletehttp://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/feb/20/was-life-really-better-when-mob-ruled-las-vegas/
The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay!
DeleteWhen I think of casinos, I associate them with them trying to make money and separate venue with different rules. The ironic thing is the only times I have been to a casino, I have not seen very many Indians in them. I have seen more seniors and an occasional business person depending on what time of day I have attended. I also believe Hollywood exaggerate the image of casinos and not are all accurate. I have not been to Las Vegas, but I have been to some in Florida, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. I would not call myself a gabbler, just have gone a few times.
DeleteI once stopped in an Indian casino on a whim while road tripping with some friends in New Mexico. It was the first and only time I have ever stepped foot in a casino. All I can say is that it was completely depressing. I do not know if this was because it was a casino on an Indian reservation or if it was because it was a casino period. I’ve always had a negative predisposition to casinos and gambling in general – some family members of mine have suffered from gambling addiction and I’ve witnessed some pretty sad moments because of it. The one that I visited was almost completely empty save a few slot players. I played one dollar on a slot machine and lost. I assume most of the staff were Indians profiting from the casino’s existence (this profit is probably a good thing), but no one seemed thrilled to be there. Overall, it was a weird, sad experience.
DeleteI have been to several casinos one in Oklahoma, several in Louisana and been to Vegas. I am not a gambler but the people I was with were. It was an ok exeperience I never won big but saw lots of people dishing out money like it was water. I think it's a waste of money except that if you play you get free drinks.. Lol. I think it is a good way for Native Americans to make a living if it brings in money for them but it is sad that they have to resort to gammbling to make a living and that we don't do more for them.
ReplyDeletePost marker.
ReplyDelete